Can I move my fuel filter?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94 7.3 idi turbo. Would I cause any problems by moving my diesel filter to the frame rail somwhere before the lift pump instead of after?:dunno

I want to make a completely seperate fuel system for each of my two tanks (diesel and wvo) from the lift pump back. So having one common filter after the lift pump where it currently resides isn't so good.

Thanks,

-Rob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the tech article "thoughts on hard starts" to see how I did exactly that.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for it. But what's wrong with just adding a pre-filter before the pump?

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone once asked me toshow my dual tank setup and i never got around to it because i'm a jerk. Now is as good a time as any.

here is the tank and the fuel send. obviously a lot of options will work for a tank, but remember that modifying a DOT approve fuel tank is illegal. I am not saying don't do it. I just think you should be aware. The really important part about a tank is that you have some method to preheat the fuel, whether it be WMO, WVO, or some mixture of fuels. This prevents gelling, improves LP and IP life and is generally better for the engine
You must be registered for see images attach

how this is all handled on my kit is by using a PEX fuel line inside heater hose filled with engine coolant. As the line on the left enters the tank a compression fitting an an aluminum block seperates the fuel line and coolant. The fuel line becomes the pick-up and the coolant travels though a length of coiled copper tube to heat the fuel before returning to heater hose to go back to the engine

The coolant jacketed fuel line comes up into the engine compartment. Again an aluminum block and compression fitting seperate the fuel line and coolant. The fuel then goes through a filter that is wrapped in coolant filled copper tube. the fuel then goes to the fuel feed selector solenoid. The diesel fuels i rerouted to go through the diesel filter then to the feed selector solenoid. From the selector solenoid both fuels go to the LP and up to the IP

the return line comes from the back of the return fuel rail to the return solenoid where it is either routed back to the diesel fuel tank, or back to the WVO/WMO fuel line just before the filter.

The solenoids are controlled by a three postion switch in the cabin. Diesel, Alt fuel, and purge. (purge selects diesel from the feed select solenoid, but returns to the Alt Fuel line in order to purge the fuel out of the lines)

So that's my kit. There are a lot of different ways to accomplish a dual tank system. You can make your own fittings to create a hose in hose fuel line. i can send direction on that to anyone interested in it.

Hope this was valuable ot someone. Thank the rain for keeping me inside on a saturday morning.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great post.

So if I understand correctly you re-routed diesel lines such that the diesel filter comes before the lift pump instead of after?

Did you make those little alum blocks or buy them? Looks like they would be easy to make on a drill press.

How do you know how hot your oil is to swich over? Did you use a coolant temp sender? is it in the oil or in the coolant?

Thanks,

-Rob

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great post.

So if I understand correctly you re-routed diesel lines such that the diesel filter comes before the lift pump instead of after?

Did you make those little alum blocks or buy them? Looks like they would be easy to make on a drill press.

How do you know how hot your oil is to swich over? Did you use a coolant temp sender? is it in the oil or in the coolant?

Thanks,

-Rob

That's right

I bought them, but you can make them out of pipe fittings. It's just two T's w compression fittings to hold the pex line in the center. It'sll take some doing, but that's the fun of a DIY kit!

I just go by engine temp. when you get to operating temp The oil will be hot enough. As the fuel travels from the tank to the engine compartment it is heated the whole way and then in the filter.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, sounds good. I guess if I have any problems pulling fuel through filters with the lift pump I can add an electric. I do remember someone on here saying they had a gauge on the suction side of the pump and they left a valve closed and the lift pump pulled almost full vacuume. If thats how hard it realy pulls I don't think Ill have a problem.

What wvo filter do you use? I was thinking of using one if not two of these filter mounts and the 33352 filter (6 micron rating).
C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\Desktop\Store_ViewProducts.asp.htm

-Rob