Can a 6.5 run with one battery?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the battery gauge said it was at about 10 volts (with one battery) but it wouldn't turn over, i don't think the starter moved at all. Do they absolutely need two batteries? I had a float charger on the battery in the truck and it said charged. Also, is it bad to jump diesels?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the group 74's or 78's are not up to task on the CCA's for these trucks.
if you want to go single batt, check out a group 31 with 975 CCA's at least the starter has a fighting chance.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the group 74's or 78's are not up to task on the CCA's for these trucks.
if you want to go single batt, check out a group 31 with 975 CCA's at least the starter has a fighting chance.

I should add that im more of a backyard mechanic than anything and have no idea what you're talking about:dunno, is that a tractor battery (the group 31)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should add that im more of a backyard mechanic than anything and have no idea what you're talking about:dunno, is that a tractor battery (the group 31)
if you are factory stock with side terminal posts, you are either a group 74 or group 78. check the top of the battery for the CCA and/or the reserve capacity.
yes, the group 31` is a tractor battery.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay. Now this may sound like a stupid question but can I take the battery out of my accord and throw it in?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay. Now this may sound like a stupid question but can I take the battery out of my accord and throw it in?
no.
you need a minimum of 800 CCA's or you will burn things up before you can blink. rule of thumb, a good starter, battery cables and batteries are critical in starting a diesel. if you can't do that, you will burn things down fast.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks man, does it matter what side the battery is on? I remember reading somewhere (maybe an owners manual) that you should jump the drivers side battery. Right now the battery is on the passenger side.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you for the advise. I think I'll just suck it up and get another battery.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
For the sake of sharing my own set-up... I have dual Red Top Optima 1000ca batteries in mine, and I don't have any problems at all starting my truck. I had regular batteries in it before, but the alternator fried every part of the electrical system, including both the new batteries, so I decided to go with the RTO's instead of regular batteries. They last longer anyway.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
About $170-$180 a piece, but with their life expectancy, they're worth it. And they're super reliable. Red tops are designed for starting, Yellow tops are designed for high electricity usage (like sound systems). I know people with Red tops that have had them for 8+ years in their diesels, and it still starts like new every day. I think you'd be lucky to get a standard battery to last 3 years in a diesel.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it is a solid investment but jeez thats a big bill. IT works now got another battery from costco :D. Thanks for the assistance!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online