camper A/C???

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on my 1980 35' globestar i have an ac unit thats supposed to work perfectly.i havent used it.how much power do they use?right now i have it in a friends side yard plugged into one of the bedrooms.will it pop circuit breakers or will i be ok?its starting to get hot and crappy outside so id like to use it if i could.and how much power do they use so i can give some money toward his electric bill or do they run off the 12v system?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that still might not be enough, thats 8.3 continous and 25 peak amps at 120v. unless there was other stuff loading down the line in the house, thats less than the 15 amp breaker.

there should be a plate on the unit specifying the needed current.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
think the inverter would run just the ac unit?ill wire the ac direct to the invert.the camper has 2 deep cycle batteries and built in charger

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
15 amps is 1800 watts. Your ac unit is pulling more than that if it is tripping a 15 amp breaker. It would drain 2 batteries within a few hours of operation on the inverter. Better off running it with a generator or plugging into at least 20 amp service.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The A/C will pull close to 20 amps upon start up then will quickly subside to around 16amp constant. If you are going to run it off an inverter I would be surprised if you could run it for more than an hour without having to swap out the batteries or shut down the A/C. Years ago I got this crazy idea that I could just use an inverter to run the A/C at night and go "dry camping" after doing the math I found that I couldn't put enough batteries in it to last a night.... that is when I decided to just stick with campgrounds and if I wanted to visit the backwoods then just drive there during the day...

why not park the camper at a campground.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its close to 1,000 bux a month for a site with full hookups :eek:i kinda gotta live in it at the moment and for a grand i could afford an apartment.but its not bad i got full use of my riends house for the bathroom,tv and central air if i get hot plus i got full use of his pool anytime i wanna go in it.so living in it kinda sux but not too bad

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That A/C will pull 14.7 amps running after starting, minimum of a 20 amp circuit breaker is required. If you running your frig on electric, that pulls about 7 amps. Your convertor (115VAC to 12VDC) is pulling 1.5 amps just with the camper plugged in, any lights, radio, TV and such turned on is prolly pulling 3-5 amps. You can bet with a 14 or 16 guage extension cord is not big enough for all that, that's why the shore cord is 10 Ga. , a minimun size extension cord needs to be 12 Ga. and not over 25 feet long. Shine up the shore cord prongs with a little sandpaper, take the corrosion off them and any other cord your using, corroded contacts (prongs) increases the resistance and lower's the voltage causing the current (amp's) to increase. BE CAREFULL AND DON'T BURN THE GUY'S HOUSE DOWN WITH AN ELECTRICAL FIRE.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Campers generally need to be plugged into minimum 30 amp..... 50 amp on the ones with more than 1 AC unit.

You can use a 15 amp to keep batterys charged and run a few things like TV, microwave, fridge, laptop etc.... just don't run the AC.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
a grand a month.... WOW.... I'm paying 340 plus electric for my camp spot (full hook up with WIFI) and I'm a monthly guy... One of the highest ones around was where I was I was at for part of the winter and they at hitting 415 a month for monthly rate included cable tv and full hook up and that is free electric and free firewood.... you boys out east are taking it to extremes...

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sux it aint cheap around here.livin in the camper is better than an apartment but not when its the same price for a site or apartment.i figured it be cheaper especially for the summer to just use the camper,i bought it for a reason,not to just sit lookin good.i love camping,im supposed to have my son at some point and he lves camping too.figured it be something funn for him to finish the summer with.i may still get a site but no hook ups to atleast take jr camping for a bit

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Hey Rich...

Would there be any possibility, for your friend to wire up a 30 amp outlet for you?

I have 50 amp service running to my garage and a 30 amp RV outlet on the side of the garage. I keep my fiver plugged 24/7, when it's here. I run it's A/C only when necessary, but It's nice to know that I can run it any time I want!

You can get the 30 amp RV outlet in a weather proof box pretty cheap at Lowes or Home Depot. You will need to run a minimum of 10 gauge wire to it.

If I can help, let me know!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Rich...

Would there be any possibility, for your friend to wire up a 30 amp outlet for you?

I have 50 amp service running to my garage and a 30 amp RV outlet on the side of the garage. I keep my fiver plugged 24/7, when it's here. I run it's A/C only when necessary, but It's nice to know that I can run it any time I want!

You can get the 30 amp RV outlet in a weather proof box pretty cheap at Lowes or Home Depot. You will need to run a minimum of 10 gauge wire to it.

If I can help, let me know!

hes doing enuogh by lettin me stay here for 65 bux a mnth toward the electric bill,i get full use of his house basically,use of the pool 24/7.and he let me have the pitbul i just got here as well.so i dont wanna ask for too much,ya know?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and i also have use of his repair plates at night and on the weekends,just gotta have the plate back on the truck it goes to by 5AM so i can take my truck out when i have fuel or wanna go for a ride