Cab Swap Question

sam930

Reaction score
Hey Guys I was about to buy a mint 92 superduty with a single cab with zero rust and for a great price. Truck came with a pto and all the heavy duty parts that come with the "F450" superduty they produced back in '92. This proved to be to good to be true because the title came from out of state and was signed over in 2013 and was not registered since. The guy got it in a trade. I am wondering if its worth it or if its possible to swap the cab with a clean title. What do I need to know if I go this route. Thanks for any help. And note that I live in massachusetts so a clean obs IDI in mass is like a unicorn so the cost of a cab swap far outweighs what I'd have to pay for any other truck with a mint clean frame and strong drivetrain.

Thanks again,
Shane

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
It depends on your jurisdiction.

Realistically, mine cares about the main cab/dash vin and not much else. Unless you make a point of telling them you're piercing piecing a truck together; then it's a whole process with inspection and an assigned vin.

There may be reduced-legal-gvwr implications if the cab is sourced from a lighter truck; probably won't matter for personal use though.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had DMV check the VIN on the frame eventhough the one on the dash is easy to read, they said "the official one is in the frame".

May want to see what your juristictiin does. It may be possible to track down the previous owner and get the title signed over too.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your final intentions with this truck? I guess you know it's not a pickup, and a pickup bed will not fit if you keep the superduty frame.

sam930

Reaction score
My final plan is to put a flatbed dump on it. The truck has a pto system. This truck must have been stored in a garage for the last 10 years because it hasnt been registered in 10 years and is 100% rust free. Which is impossible to find in New England for less than an outrageous price. I currently pull a dump trailer with my hand me down Toyota Sequoia. I want to look more legit and have a dump truck/ enclosed trailer set up. But Im just starting out and my budgets tight as I want to invest in equipment. I think im just gonna have to wait another year on this setup until I have some real money and arent talking to title flippers for cheap trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online