C6 question...

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I ran across a 86 excab 250 6.9 and C6 for 1200 bucks...truck is in great shape just the tranny won't shift into reverse or park...any ideas? The guy has to leave it in neutral and use the parking brakes...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "won't shift"? The lever won't move past Neutral? Or when you shift to Neutral or Park, the transmission doesn't do what you expect it to do?

Does the pointer on the dash match the gear selection?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ignition key interlock keeping the shift collar fron going into reverse/park.?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't move past neutral.....he disconnected the linkage and rod going to the tranny and will won't go past neutral by moving the linkage on side of the tranny

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price doesn't upset me at all. Maybe throw $1000 even at him, nice body work goes a long way in my book.

The other side of the transmission shift linkage actuates a rod that slides in and out of the valve body. Stuff may be bound up, or it may need a valve body. Strikes me as light transmission work, not a deal breaker for me.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could part out and scrap the steel and make back more than a thousand on the truck. I say go for it. I got mine for 1000 and all it needed was a little tlc and an oil cooler rebuild.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics are so bad it's hard to tell; is it 2WD or 4x4? Given the dearth of facts and decent images in the ad, he's effectively selling a barely-running 2wd automatic. Yeah +1 above; wave ten Bens in front of him, see what happens. If the tranny fix isn't stoopid cheap, throw a ZF5 behind it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a C6 in gasser fIl similarly...dropped pan reconne ted linkage inside tightendd bolt filled trans...voila up n running.

Dont know if yours is similar...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, if it wasn't so far away, I'd be on that like stink on poo poo. For that price, sure looks like a nice clean truck. Ain't nothing in that C6 that can't be fixed cheap.
I blowed up the pic of the engine 300% , don't look bad at all.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nut that holds the rooster comb on in the trans has backed off or the park link is bent, easy fix . Or the detent leaf spring has wadded up and fouled the linkage.
Buy the truck. Cheap.lol