C6 question

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Mel,
I don't know if you saw how I had the tranny coolers mounted under the truck. I zip-tied them to a 5/16 dia frame that I tapped and screwed into the web of the frame. I used some 3/8" vinyl tubing over the 5/16 rod to cushion the tranny coolers. When I moved them back to the front of the radiator, parts of that vinyl had been melted to the fins of the coolers.
I must have been HOT!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then. It was obviously working good. LOL

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Michael
I have a rebuilt 2wd c-6. been out and sitting for a few years.
yours for free. just need to hook up and get it.
whens the bel-air fair?
nick

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Nick,
Thanks, but the consensus seems to be that I am fine.
OTOH, spares are always nice.
Do you mean our Barbque bash?
http://www.mdbbq.com/index.html

Thats next weekend, the 8th and 9th.

When is Jimmie Cone?
Maybe we can hookup somewhere.

Has anyone found a way to rebuild a 6.9 oil pressure relief valve? Have you ever done it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The hardest part of rebuilding an oil pressure relief valve or regulator is getting another spring. They wear the spring down in wire thickness due to the constant sliding action it sees in the housing. If you have a rear oil cooler header orr look at the staked in fitting. Clean out the aluminum around it but be careful and don't take out so much that you destroy the housing... That will cost you about $260.00 2 years ago... Myself and Typ4 (Russ) added some shims in ours for a bit higher running pressure. Even with a new rebuild and housing I was seeing around 44 lbs running at 2000 rpm. I felt I needed more so now I have plenty. These motors run on volume and not pressure. The oil pump puts out 18.2 gallons at 3000 rpm... I have all the spring lengths and wire diameters but no place to buy a replacement. I also have a psd oil cooler and that regulater is held in place with a snap ring. Maybe Ford or Navistar sells a rebuild kit and the "stuff" will work for us... I just have not dug into it yet..... Way to many naps to take every day now....;p

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The hardest part of rebuilding an oil pressure relief valve or regulator is getting another spring. They wear the spring down in wire thickness due to the constant sliding action it sees in the housing. If you have a rear oil cooler header orr look at the staked in fitting. Clean out the aluminum around it but be careful and don't take out so much that you destroy the housing... That will cost you about $260.00 2 years ago... Myself and Typ4 (Russ) added some shims in ours for a bit higher running pressure. Even with a new rebuild and housing I was seeing around 44 lbs running at 2000 rpm. I felt I needed more so now I have plenty. These motors run on volume and not pressure. The oil pump puts out 18.2 gallons at 3000 rpm... I have all the spring lengths and wire diameters but no place to buy a replacement. I also have a psd oil cooler and that regulater is held in place with a snap ring. Maybe Ford or Navistar sells a rebuild kit and the "stuff" will work for us... I just have not dug into it yet..... Way to many naps to take every day now....;p

I have a friend that owns a spring company--little springs--not leaf springs for our axles.
If someone can provide the data, wire diameter, free length, and force, I can probably get some made up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted in the events section, and on the BOOB site for the Jimmy Cone. It's the 16th of August.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online