C.A.V. Injectors?

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robbed an injector off what I believe to be a 92 7.3 to put on an 89 7.3 spare that I want to keep running just in case I need it.
Noticed that the 92 was stamped C.A.V. England "E" which I understand to be one of the less desirable types.

First time I've seen anything English on these engines. What's the story on C.A.V. injectors? did they come from the factory with them?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Last I recall about the CAV injectors is they were made in Italy. Really nothing wrong with them and being a spare will not hurt your engine. If the spare does not match the other injector pop pressures it will allow a different amount of fuel into that cylinder. Might cause a rough running engine kinda of like a spark plug that is colder or hotter than the other in the engine.

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Down to small projects at the moment, Urishiol dermatitis sucks.

Anyhow, pop tested some old injectors I had kicking around and found they were all over the board. Everywhere from 1950 down to 1600.

purchased an ultrasonic cleaner, and started pulling some apart.

Some interesting findings on the C.A.V. injectors, Charles Anthony Vandervell (1870–1955) was bought out by the prince of darkness in 1926, they then entered a partenership with bosch in 1931. Lucas bought out Bosch element in 1937. In 1978 the company became Lucas CAV, and in 2000 it appears the fuel systems portion of the company was taken over by delphi.

Anyhow, I have some stanadyne "e" and the cav injectors in "bb" (originally thought they were e's for some reason).

The cavs have 6 point caps, and nozzles are slightly larger diameter than the stanadynes. the cav nozzles wont fit in the stanadyne caps. The stanadyne "e"'s have 12 point caps, shorter springs, and more shims.

I suspect the spring length difference has an effect on rate and duration between the e and bb, but I haven't found much info on this yet.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spring length has no effect as it just sets the opening pressure. It is just a designer preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online