Bypass filtration question and full flow oil filters

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking this is that I have installed a NTZ bypass oil filter that filters down to 1/2 micron. My Blackstone reports are all coming up great and I've got 7k on the full flow oil filter now.

I figure that since the NTZ filter is removing particles down to 1/2 micron (just like any other bypass filter, Gulf Coast, FS2500 etc), is there any reason to replace the full flow oil filter every 5K or so? :confused:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yes I would because it's still gonna clog up but only with the larger stuff and once it plugs up then the high dollar bypass filter will then be doing full duty and you will shorten it's life span so swapping out full flow is still needed. Best thing is to read the pressure off the filter to see how dirty it is but we don't have a place for that on these rigs if memory serves...

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a perfect place for the bypass filter on the frame. What I do to determine if the filter is clogged is scan it with an IR thermometer. If it doesn't warm up, then I know the media is clogged.

There is a pressure tap and return fitting right near the oil filter on the block. The feed is like 1/4 NPT and the return is 3/8 NPT. I had two 3000 psi hydraulic hoses made up to feed and return the oil from the filter. I should take some pics and post them.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Pics?

I figure you can get 10K outa the full flow BTW. Figure the bypass is catching most of the crap so there really shouldn't be to much in the full flow anyways. You could cut the filter open and have a look and see how its doing if your worried about it.

I forget where I seen it but someone mentioned the stock motorcraft FL1995 is capable of 10,000 miles. If you wanted to run longer than that though I would look into the filters with synthetic media.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online