buying a diesel

Vikingtrad3r

Reaction score
Hi there. my first post.

im buying a diesel yard truck for the sole purpose of running stuff around our extensive facility. we have always used gas trucks.

ive researched the 6.0 and i really like them once the. ulletproofing is done and we would do that.

my question is has anybody successfully run filtered used motor oil through a 6.0? that is a requirement for this truck.

we have 6 sections of land, the truck will be running on our property only, so i dont have to worry about the whole road tax thing. we have a full shop and it shouldnt even need to ho to town for maintainence.

ive never seen any 6.0's on wmo. only 7.3. i will get us a 7.3 if i have to but would prefer a 6.0 2005 and later for the better front end suspension as the truck is going to be 100% mule grunt.

thnx for your time.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners. I know you have targeted a 6.0 for your needs, but I would really think twice about running waste motor oil though any Powerstroke injectors, 6.0 or 7.3. Reason being is the complexity/cost of the injectors. One dirty batch of oil and you can lunch some injectors. If you are really going to use it as a farm truck, you could consider running the red off road fuel. I know it's not a cheap as WMO, but it's pretty easy and you could run it in a 6.0 Powerstroke if that's really your goal.

If you really want to run WMO, I'd think about going with an IDI as they are far more tolerant of WMO and when you need a new set of injectors, it's not that hard and not that expensive to replace them, especially by comparison to the Powerstoke parts.

Good luck whichever way you end up going, and welcome to Oilburners.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
7.3 will take it slightly better than the 6.0.
Honestly id look into a mechanical cumminGs, then a IDI. Rather ford 6.9/7.3 or gm 6.2/6.5.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.0 will not work in your environment with wmo. To run it AT ALL with wmo you need heavy load high temp highway driving preferably hauling, just a run around stop and go deal just won’t work, your injectors may last a week. Save yourself the trouble and get an idi.

Vikingtrad3r

Reaction score
thanks guys. i had seen quite a few 7.3's running a mix of 75wmo/25rug which is what we were going to try here given everything we have is already gas and we are paying people to take our oil away.

i did t want to go as far back as an idi, but the more i think about it, the less stuff can go wrong. i can pro find one with manual door locks and windows to keep any electrical gremlins to a min!