BUYING A 7.3 IDI

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm old and obsolete, not to mention a cheap *******. I don't own a smart phone nor am I smart enough to know how to use one. :O
i can pm you my phone number, but pm me yours too. I did learn how to program the spam call reject file :D

I had one of my employees hand me his smart phone to talk with another employee.While talking to him,the smart phone just turned off.I'm like what happened? They put the damn power button on the side of the phone where you hold it to talk! I didn't think it was smart at all.I called it a dumb phone.:rotflmao
Needless to say,it didn't change my mind about not bothering to get one.:D

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be wary of someone who seems so desperate to get rid of their truck--drops the price easily and is willing to deliver for no charge, but good luck.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't about to own a "smart phone". An old friend of mine who was in the computer industry since the early 80's said the best way to screw up a phone was to put an "operating system" on it. I proudly own a $10 Trac-Phone I bought at 7-11--hasn't let me down in over three years and no damn "data plan".

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be wary of someone who seems so desperate to get rid of their truck--drops the price easily and is willing to deliver for no charge, but good luck.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't about to own a "smart phone". An old friend of mine who was in the computer industry since the early 80's said the best way to screw up a phone was to put an "operating system" on it. I proudly own a $10 Trac-Phone I bought at 7-11--hasn't let me down in over three years and no damn "data plan".

I was thinking the same thing.It's like how many red flags do you need? We were all young with much less wisdom than we have now though.What ya gunna do.His mind is set on this truck for some reason.Life is a learning experience.The truck may be a disaster but the learning experience will be priceless I suppose.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Smart" phones are like "all-purpose" tools; the more things they're made to do, the worse they suck at doing any of them. My phone can't be hacked when the battery is disconnected.

As for the truck, the dude's only into it for $1200. It would have been a disaster at the original asking price, but $1200 is a fine project start point. The OP just has to treat it as a project, EVERYTHING about the truck will have to be carefully checked/reviewed, and updated/replaced/repaired as needed.

CheckYourBuffer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Smart" phones are like "all-purpose" tools; the more things they're made to do, the worse they suck at doing any of them. My phone can't be hacked when the battery is disconnected.

As for the truck, the dude's only into it for $1200. It would have been a disaster at the original asking price, but $1200 is a fine project start point. The OP just has to treat it as a project, EVERYTHING about the truck will have to be carefully checked/reviewed, and updated/replaced/repaired as needed.
exactly

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As these trucks get older and harder to find it is difficult to find a good one. If you havent already bought the truck look some more. Where I live I use the four wheel drive a lot (on a hill) . Not just for snow but getting around. Love being able to use low range for moving trailers in tight spaces. Two wheel dirve trucks don't have this option. Also it was well worth the turbo install. Thanks Towcat.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoulda bought the IDI too, then dropped the IDI powertrain into the Bronco (yeah, it would be a bigeffin' heavy diesel in a half-ton frame, but it's been done.....).

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDI to Bronco Sport?! I thought it was just knee surgery--you get brain surgery too?? JK:joker: Have fun with it!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think im gonna listen to all of you, i found a really clean 1996 ford bronco sport for 2000$ gonna go look on friday, ill keep you guys updated!
bronco sport smells like a "bronco 2"
run away asap.
1) passing kali smog will be near impossible
2) 2.9 v-6's aren't powerhouses or reliable
3) the mazda 5 speed transmissions are prone to commmit sepekku and bleed to death once the rubber plugs at the top of the trans are gone.
4) that same trans is ungodly expensive to rebuild and the internals need complete replacement.

CheckYourBuffer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bronco sport smells like a "bronco 2"
run away asap.
1) passing kali smog will be near impossible
2) 2.9 v-6's aren't powerhouses or reliable
3) the mazda 5 speed transmissions are prone to commmit sepekku and bleed to death once the rubber plugs at the top of the trans are gone.
4) that same trans is ungodly expensive to rebuild and the internals need complete replacement.
its a 1996 bronco sport with a 5.8l v8. passed smog already?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a 1996 bronco sport with a 5.8l v8. passed smog already?

You are looking at the better big one, not the little bronco he is talking about.

This is not the forum to talk about it, but I will agree with the reliability of the 2.9(heads like to crack) but disagree on the power thing. I have the 2.9 with the toyo 5 speed and 3.73 gears and it has lots of power. I did have to replace the heads on it.

P.S. If you are ever looking for a replacement used steering box for your idi, get one from a little ranger or bronco II. Can you believe that? They use the same steering box as a f350 with a 7.3 or 460.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online

Members online