Buying a 1992 7.3 IDI HELP!

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as its not a rust bucket, that isn't a bad deal. A leak that bad is most likely the turbo oil return as someone else said. Mine is leaking from the same place. The oil runs down the back of the engine behind the heads. I might get around to fixing that tomorrow.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Theres no rust at all. Little bit of paint loss but that's to be expected with any old truck. Although my 95 GMC Sierra has no paint loss except for a small part on the roof. It's one of the white ones too which is rare to find in the obs Chevy trucks without paint loss.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I would buy it in a heartbeat for that price. And as far as the oil leak, as already stated it could be the oil return from the turbo. If the person that installed it didn't know any better they may have used the original grommet instead of the grommet for the turbo. They are different. Also they could have made the mistake that I made when I first installed my turbo and didn't punch a few holes down in the hole in the valley pan on the baffle plate (probably not the correct term) to let the large amount of oil to be able to drain properly. Even with the new rubber grommet sealing the turbo oil drain it still oozed oil up onto the valley pan and leaked down the back of the block. This may not even be ur particular issue but another few options to look at if u find no other source of the leak.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man that's nice [emoji7]

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Guy didnt say anything about the turbo except that it was aftermarket. He bought it a year or so ago he said from the original owner. I'm going to pick the truck up tomorrow and I'm super excited! This is my current truck, Waylon. Hes a 95 GMC Sierra. Not trying to replace my current truck but it's getting old and tired even with the newer engine. Im hoping the 5 speed transmission and the clutch in the IDI are in good working order like the guy says. I'm assuming this truck has the ZF5?? Are these pretty good transmissions? Do they need rebuilt or worked on often? I'm really hoping the oil leak is something simple or is something with the turbo. Also, what other kinds of issues should I look for that are common on these trucks? What would be a dealbreaker? The guy is willing to drive it a good distance so I dont wanna waste his time and have him drive it all the way here only to find something else major wrong with it and not buy it. The truck is clearly red necked to a point because he said the started is going bad and he has to pull start it whatever that means. I'm sure it's been messed with and I'm going to have to unredneck whatever has been messed with on it. My grandfather has a code reader for old Ford trucks that hes going to let me borrow to use on the truck as well. Not sure if itll even work but it's worth a shot. What codes should I be cautious of? Not as familiar with these diesels as I am the 6.2l and 6.5l Detroit Diesels. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Well I'm over here in Redmond, not that far from Vale, & if you don't hurry up & get it I'll run over there & find it & snag it in a heartbeat!!! Heck the gooseneck hitch is nearly worth the $1700 in now-a-days dollars!! LOL LOL

Naw seriously, I wish I'd found it.....

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a manual transmission you won't have any place to even plug in a code reader. No computer at all.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat too. You should put cab bushings on your list of fixes. Not really a bad job, just annoying. I can tell by the misalignment between the cab and bed. Not a big problem but it would drive me nuts.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll jump on the train- you need to buy this.
I've been watching for months for a parts truck like this for a zf5 swap and bed among other things. Theres no trucks in PA for that price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk