Buyer Beware: Sterling Hub Socket

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
1985 trucks dont have sterlings soooo thats your first problem..

1985 would have a dana 70 in the rear.

half way through 85 they changed. so check the axle code on the door or crawl under and look for a plug on the diff cover. if you have one your axle is a D70... no plug=sterling

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
It's a sterling. 7/85 build date, no plug, axle marked 5t8ca2. Just did a disk swap on it, look in "what did you do to your truck".

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Yeah. This
You must be registered for see images attach

Vs this

Most likely. I'm not a machinist but it's maybe 15 thou oversize? Will go in with some taps from a hammer but then is a total pita to get out, I only did that once and only like 1/4" insertion.[

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Would be the axle tube, not the hub or hub nut. This tool fit on the nut fine, just wouldn't go into the tube.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
uhh, you need new spindle nuts now. the hammer/ounch method works, but destroys the internal locking ring...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yep. the socket pushes the locking ring back equally. when using a punch, it only pushes in where the punch is, and cracks the ring.

Michael Dimock

Reaction score
Just used that same socket on my 97 Sterling and had the same issues. Spun it inside the spindle with an impact to shave off the black coating and it was better, but still too tight.... It got the job done but I was a little worried about torquing it accurately. The hub felt fine when the torquing/backing off 5 clicks procedure was done so I've been running it. Was a ***** to get back off the spindle.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
At least I'm not the only one.
I wire wheeled the black coating off and it was still too tight. Gave it some taps with a hammer and it left a tiny ridge in the axle tube so I didn't do that again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online