TECH 101 4x front axle spindle nut and axle removal

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to flip the info from a different threat and provide a concise platform to help give a decent pictutorial.

With @Waystro needing an axle for pass side of a D50 and me having THREE D50's here, I took it upon myself to document the removal of parts down to the axle. I include a variety of images with measuring tape for sake of argument and help explain the size differences.

Starting with two sockets...I am pointing to the 2 I will use. The other two are for a D35 and 10.25 Sterling....just sayin...got a couple of these specialized units as do many here on this board...do this crap long enough cheaper to own than rent or borrow.

You must be registered for see images attach

FYI...IF DOING THIS ON THE TRUCK AS LIKELY YOU WOULD BE.... raise truck and place jack stands or good solid blocks...DO NOT USE CINDER BLOCKS....THEY CAN CRUMBLE ...LOSS OF FINGERS HANDS OR..CAN OCCUR.

Remove wheel/tyre assembly

Regardless of which brake pin/slider remove them set aside...remove caliper and pads and suspend on a wire or zip tie...DO NOT ALLOW CALIPER TO HANG BY HOSE!!!!

Now follow along....

Now onto the meat and potatoes..the axle in question is an 88 F250 SC axle I removed from my daily driver when I did my D60 SAS....here I already removed lockout hub external part. It requires an Allen key and dont ask I dont remember the size.

Small tip...I personally hqve had issues where the Allen head bolt is stripped due to....(insert explative idiots here)....some of you may find this too. What has worked a HIGH % of time for me for removal of stripped small allen head screws is find a Torx bit and tap it in tight with hammer....good taps too a d this often gets a good enough purchase on the bolt to allow it to be turned out....works for me lots.

Apparently SIZE matters...these are the same hubs a D60 uses there is a smaller D50 hub as well earlier in production and currently I have none of those here to compare too.

With the two clips removed the internal one on large hub and small external one on the stub axle I thread in two lockout hub bolts and slide out complete hub

For good measure...again

The correct tool for D 50/60 axle ...THIS APPLICATION...

Spindle nut off and in the socket

Two magnets make short work of locking washer

Inner nut to do next

And hub off spindle.....all done

More coming

Hope this helps..

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now from the point above...here is the spindle NUT threaded back on spindle and the correct tool for this application pressed on to show how it fits when inside the hub.

This next bit is just some helpful info and is @Waystro whom needs an axle...so spindle removal..remove 5 nuts on studs take special tool ...and well follow along.

Now install the tool on spindle.....

Here I gently whack tool...+..cross.ways..a whack left right and up down...nothing major

I am just looking for movement at hub face...

Insert slide hammer into socket and whack away....

One good pull and this was results

Remove axle and done...clean up tools and put parts away.

Hopefully this will help folks manage to remove spindle nuts with spindle socket tools. This is same as procedure for a Bronco or F150 as well and even the ranger or BII

Thanks for looking and feel free to azk questions or add suggestions.

Assembly is reversal of procedures.

Al

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice quality pictures and great write-up. Now if we could just get you to do the same installing THE CURE!! :sly

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
If you guys are referring to the cure sold by ruff stuff, it doesn't quite fit ours. States that on the site. Designed for Chevy one ton tre. There will be a gap in there still

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you guys are referring to the cure sold by ruff stuff, it doesn't quite fit ours. States that on the site. Designed for Chevy one ton tre. There will be a gap in there still

We have a better CURE... I made one for @riotwarrior, once he confirms fit I will turn out some more. See http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ag-link-roll-causing-dead-spot&highlight=CURE

The part fit my truck fine but I use XRF joints; before making too many I would like confirmation that it fits others.