burnt clutch smell or brakes

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
When I go up a big hill it smells like a clutch thats burning, my tranny is a C6, it was rebuilt last winter. I only seem to realize this the past two days...Anyone know what it could be? I also kinda think it smells like a dragging brake, but why would I only smell it going up hill?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Ok I will check the brakes, but it dont make since only smelling when going up an incline... Also my A/C is unhooked at the moment.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Thats another thing it could be, I should check the band adjustment. IF I drop it into 1st man that will put my RPM's High.

bushpig7

Reaction score
does it make any kind of sound? I rebuilt my C6 tranny and after a little while of driving (about two months) I needed to readjust 2nd gear. after that it was fine and I have towed some huge loads with it. You should notice a little bit of slippage and a sound that sounds a bit like a pump cavitating if its really bad. of course if you had your tranny rebuilt because it was failing, then you know that.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can smell a trans clutch slipping it is done. See if the fluid is burnt.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
In the morning I will check out everything. Hopefully its just the band that needs adjusted. I know it was a DIY transmission rebuild so if it is done its no ones fault but mine...Just gives me a reason for a t-19 or zf5 swap...

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Fluid is not burnt. I adjusted the band this morning also. Lifted each wheel off the ground and both front wheels seem to be dragging a little bit, more on the passenger side. Also noticed a few more problems, need a new tie rod end on driver side, transmission leaking somewhere just a little bit, Oil pressure line leaking, and last but not least one of my leaf springs are broke and starting to come out!!! Dang it. I think fixing this is more important than getting that dash like I wanted...

So I guess I need new front calipers, new brakes and get the rotors turned...

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Fluid is not burnt. I adjusted the band this morning also. Lifted each wheel off the ground and both front wheels seem to be dragging a little bit, more on the passenger side. Also noticed a few more problems, need a new tie rod end on driver side, transmission leaking somewhere just a little bit, Oil pressure line leaking, and last but not least one of my leaf springs are broke and starting to come out!!! Dang it. I think fixing this is more important than getting that dash like I wanted...

So I guess I need new front calipers, new brakes and get the rotors turned...

The front brakes are gonna drag a little bit. it takes several complete rotations of the wheel to get the piston to settle back into the caliper. If you only call it a little drag then it is probably fine. If you do anything, take the calipers off and clean an lube all the slide surfaces on it.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well we found a problem, the rotor is warped very bad! time to buy a new one, it pretty much melted the brake pad to the rotor it got hot. I cant seem to get the hub apart to get the rotor off. I got the snap ring out and the little screw and its suppose to come out but its not, I did it by the book and it said it should just slide out.

tractorman86

Reaction score
there is a spindle nut that takes a special socket behind all of that. those are only instructions for the locking hub, not the whole wheel hub

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well the problem is getting to the spindle nut, were trying to remove the hub body out of the wheel hub. The instructions said to remove the manual hub lock by taking out the cap assembly, then remove the hub lock ring, then remove the stop screw and slide the inner portion of the hub out, then to remove the axle shaft snap ring, then this is where were stuck, then it says next to pull the hub body off, which you can pull on it but it feels like there is something else holding it, but I cant find anything holding it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.