burning sheared synthetic oil in IDI?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If fuel Cetane changes, timing needs to change for optimum.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have my cold advance on a switch, it seems to like the cold advance being on the whole time. Makes sense since oil burns slower...
I also think it wants a bit more dilution. W85 is still too thick, definitly thicker than diesel as I see it in my barrel, and when i changed my fuel filter.
I will be blending in a bit more gasoline to get to W20, well see how ti runs then.
It definitly likes running steady state highway, sometiems hesitates and does weird things in transient driving in town..

Im hoping running a ****** oil and pushing it decently on the freeway for 20 mins at a time will help prevent coking as well.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes truck was timed to 8.5 deg before.
Blended in more gasoline to my remianing batch to get approx 20% dilution. Consistency is definitly closer to diesel now rather than a light oil.
This is all 15w40 I am working with so definitely thicker than a 5w30.
WIll fill up with this new mixture tonight, got abotu a 1/4 tank of the old stuff left.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blended up a W80 mix last nigth and filled up approx 30 gallons of it. had maybe 10 gallons of my old W85 mix in the tank.
I dont think it likes the W80 very much..

so on W85. started like on normal diesel. I had air intrusion like symptoms on start up, foudn last nigth shrader valve was leaking. ok no problem.
seemed smooth on the freeway. I run it around 80-85mph steady cruise for 20 mins each way from work EGT around 700-800.
the problem: in town it seemed to surge like air intrustion. Again, i just discovered the leaky shrader valve last nigth, before filling up with my new blend.

W80..started harder...smokier. Seems to haze white sometimes, and definitely runs rougher..too much gasoline?
THe consistency is quite liquid y, about the same as D2, a littel thicker id say.

W85, the consistency is somewhere aroudn compressor oil Id say.

I got 40 gallons in the tank right of this W80 crap and I dont think the truck is liking it very much.

Should I try W90 next? Im afraid of flow problems, gets to about 45-50F in the mornings these days here. I have a carrier E lift pump, and brand new baldwin fuel filter.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, drove in town a bunch over lunch hour...seems to be driving perfectly fine now, the same as on D2. I did turn off cold advance, which the W85 seemed to like better. No weird starting ot bucking when turning or changing gears, normal smoke amounts..should be good.
20% seems to be the ticket. THe truck definitly smokes a bunch more on cold start, but is fine once warmed up.
Just picked up another 55g barrel of the nice flush oil...got another 2 more already waiting!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im running the w80 mix and man the truxk does not like to start on it and smokes too much for my liking.
i think uts too mucj gasoline preventing good lightoff at cold, anyone experience this? I put 4 gallons of diesel in directly into the truck tank eith approx 20g mix left in there, either uts not mixed or it didnt help light off.
I have about 18 g left in my tank, going to run it down and try w85 in it again..may put a cetane booster in..diesel power service?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im considering just thinning with Kerosene instead, may cost me 5% more but no octane at least..
If I can have $20 invested/55g gal drum of oil-which would make 60-62 gallons of fuel-thinning 10% with Kero...that would be great.
Since I already got 5 gallons of gasoline, I will try making a W90 blend tonight, and fill up on friday. Im planning a 400 miles round trip for the weekend and need to make sure my blend is good before setting out.
Ill put in a few gallons of the new blend on fridya see how it runs. if its wonky, ill add 5 gallons of Kero to the blend, so it will be 80% 15w40, 5%RUG, 5% Kero.

Trying to keep it as simple and cheap as I can. I only have 1 5gal diesel container that Im willing to use for Kero, and 1 5gal and 1 2.5g gasoline containers. Dont want to buy any more lol.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, went to start the truck just now, got in to work at 8, currently 3pm, 67F out. the thing did NOT want to start. multiple glow and cranks, sounded like it was only firing on 1 cyl. finally lit off and ran very smooth. I think this batch is less than 10% gasoline and it is much too thick. I even dumped half a bottle of DPS into the drum before mixing. Put in 3.5 gallons of kerosene at the pump to try and thin it down a little bit...

Next time I will do 20% pure kerosene and no gasoline.

Ideally..this thing could run on like W95, if I had a 2 tank system, start and stop on D2, then switch to oil on the freeway. not going to deal with tall that stuff though. Ill run a few more mixtures, but if it still doesnt want to start right I will go back to jsut regular ol D2 for the winter. Dont want to deal with getting startanded at work cause the thing wouldnt start.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, that little bit of kerosene definitly wasnt enough, truck would not even think of starting this morning...Need to fix my bock heater plug tonight, plug it in and see what happens. Thing is though, I dont have the filter head heater anymore..so if thats very thick in there..it will still be very hard to start regardless..ah, the joys of trying to save a buck...which almsot not even worth it with the cheap prices of fuel these days..oh well, its still fun, and a learning experience.

Hmm, i dont think my filter is plugged, usually I will see a bunch of crud in the carrier lift pump screen if anythign and its fine. it must be the fact that it ws abotu 50F this morning and i trying to pump ****** 15w40 with a little bit of cut through the IP and injectors..I can attempt to pump some out with my little hand suction pump from the tank back into the barrel for more dilution with kero, but first I will try my block heater.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7/8 plugs were fried with white and black carbon built up on them.
Im dont with experimenting with oil. Thing smokes out interesections idling there, starting to run rough.
ran the tank down to 5-8 gallons of oil, filled up 15 gallon of diesel. running better and more power, less smoke. Still runs rough time to time.
Dont have the time or will to mess around with it. The smoke is just too much, too stinky and nasty.
Oh well..just hope my injectors are ok after some hard running of D2 and a bottle of diesel kleen.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would run some AutoRx on your next oil change, if your got some dirty rings it could help clean them up. Interesting experiment you had going there though!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dumped a whole bottole of Howes into my 1/3 full tank. The exhaust is cleaning up nicely. I have almost 2000 lbs of weight in the bed right now and I have been running it WOT as often as I can on the diesel and Howes mix. The blue haze is almost gone at idle, power is back to normal. EGT lower by 100F, although still not as low as they used to be.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Iirc, people with coking were doing either a water injection or just misting it into the intake to help clear it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online