Bump stop, will this work?

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
First a little background story:
My 89 F250 supercab has been lifted 4" but is back to stock height due to all the issues with lift and TTB, but the lift springs in the rear are kept. They are skyjacker 4" lift softride (? I think its called), and I have pulled one leaf from the pack and swapped the thick short, bottom leaf (overload leaf) out with a thinner, so they are softer than stock springs and gives a bit more normal (and comfortable) suspension travel. The truck almost never sees any load in the bed, except fishingpoles, tents and such, so this rear leaf setup suits my driving pattern much better, especially since the roads here sucks a$$. When the truck got lifted the bump stops became useless, since I pulled the factory lift blocks with those arms sticking out that the bumb stops are supposed to hit, and with those gone the bumb stops would need to hit the axle itself. Which it could not do before the shocks bottomed out. However, since the springs were stiff as hell, this was not an issue since it never was close to doing so. But now, with softer springs, this could be an issue. So I need to resolve it. Especially If I am to tow trailers with any significant weight.

So the question is: Can I safely place the original lift blocks on top of the springs, with everything held together with the U-bolts? This would give correct travel, with bottoming out on the bump stops with 1/2" to spare before the shocks bottoms out. I would mount a piece of an old 1/2" leaf between the u-bolt bracket and the liftbock, since the bracket can't rest against the liftblocks alone. Tried to illustrate the setup with a drawing on the galaxy note, so pardon the quality but hopefully it (and the whole post) is understandable.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online