Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all. So I’m in the shop this morning about to install a new lift pump. I wanted to go E pump but I’ll just have to get back in here and do it at a later date. For now, I have a NAPA mech lift pump and I have a remote starter switch to “bump” the engine so I can get that lift pump arm in the right spot. I’m following the instructions and it says to connect one lead to large terminal which battery positive is connected, and the other lead to small terminal labeled “S”.

Do I need to do anything different than what instructions say because it is a diesel? Seems pretty straight forward, I’d just hate to somehow fry something...

Also, with new lift pump in, water pump in, and VC gaskets I’m thinking about cleaning the engine a bit to see if she is nice and sealed up now. Any recommendations on engine cleaning? I read people saying don’t do it and then others who do and know what they’re talking about. For me it would just be nice to help locate any other leaks potentially. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look like it was bad? I felt like my oil was thin, didn’t look right and was possibly rising. But then I also started using a different bio synthetic oil. Either way, new one going in!

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
It is the same thing as jumping a wire from the battery to the starter solenoid except there is a switch in the middle,so nothing should go wrong. Personally, I always power wash engines,and depending on how dirty,I will use degreaser.I am sure somebody will try and tell me that power washing an engine is stupid or something,but the fact is,if you are aiming the nozzle at full blast to your alternator or other electronics,you shouldn't be power washing it in the first place.I have power washed engines for years and the outcome has always been a nice clean engine and no problems,because I use some sense when doing it.

Rock

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rock! Any advice on a good angle to get in and see the fuel pump cam? I know the pump arm has to be installed underneath the cam lobe, I’m following the installation instructions on dieselhub.com. He removed the inner fender wall I think but I did not... I imagine that greatly increases your sight into the pump hole...

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I was lucky and it was already up. Here’s a picture. Pump arm should just go straight in and be underneath the cam lobe.

That arrow is pointing to what I think is the cam lobe. Bottom is just reference for bottom of the hole

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stu you look good to go. Just angle the arm down and press in, no matter where the lobe is you will have to compress the arm a little to get it flush. Many of us have switched the rear bolt to a stud for this install. You don't have to be a contortionist with 3 hands that way!

But before the stud I would be able to put the thing where it goes, press hard with the left arm and get some threads started with the right. If you can get the rear one started after that great, otherwise tighten that first one down a bit until the rear will start.
This is all from under the pickup, I've never taken off the wheel well cover.

Also washing the engine won't hurt anything just cover the alt with a bag. What hurts it is getting too close and blasting connectors and failing GP harness, etc. I'd stay a couple feet away with it and use degreaser first to loosen it up. The best way to find a leak is to add UV dye to the oil and get a UV flashlight. Same goes for coolant. Go run it for a day or week and then crawl under in the dark with the flashlight. Instant results!

Oh! And if you are worried about oil contamination just smell it. Diesel odor is strong and persists through the oil easily. A good mechanic will always smell the dipstick every time they check the oil no matter what it looks like, it's so easy.

Happy wrenching!

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Josh! Yeah that rear bolt was a pain, I could see where a stud would be convenient. I’m going to follow those steps and do some cleaning first then run the dyes and see what I come up with. I see people on here doing cool builds and while i cant afford to do any mods yet I am at least trying to make sure the truck is in good working condition. Pump is in and no leaks so :music::Thumbs Up

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have power washed engines for years and the outcome has always been a nice clean engine and no problems,because I use some sense when doing it.
When I do this on a gas engine (older model) I leave the engine running. When it starts missing, immediately stop spraying around the distributor.