Bullnose trailer plug

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to start hauling (and using) a dump trailer. My 7 pin connector has 6 wires running to it. There's no batt + that I could find.

My 6 pin connector also has no batt +

Looking at the controller and the 7 pin, they were both wired in with scotch connectors. I'm guessing that the 4 wire in the back is the only thing that was factory.

Before I start poking holes in all the wiring, is there batt + from the factory at the rear of the truck? If not, I'm guessing starter solenoid to a circuit breaker and run it out the back is the best way to get power back there

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing starter solenoid to a circuit breaker

That's my SOP
I use etrailer.com pretty often. I like to run the new "hot" to a distribution box (like used on a trailer) then use 7 wire cable from there to the plug. I also use a distribution box on the trailer.

Reactions: dgr

Benm2002

Reaction score
If the plugs are scotch locked in then there won’t be a charge (or brake controller).

Yes easiest way to get a charge line is to come of the ignition activated side of the starter solenoid and run 10 gauge wire to the plug (put a 40 amp breaker inline under the hood).

I would also recommend running a second wire back, then if you want to add a brake controller the wire is already run.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't find a hot. I did find a loom heading halfway down the passenger side containing a very small air line and a wire. I guess the PO wasn't lying when he said he had an illegal train horn.

I also found a paired 12 gauge. Looks like they brought that forward, used one for the brake controller and the other for reverse. Odd that. I'll just run a hot down the passenger frame.

Good idea on the distribution box. I'll leave enough slack to add something for when I replace the entire plug.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was trailer power in 1986. But it was an option, you can see it in the diagram below, the dotted line means all trucks did not have it. It comes off the starter relay as "fuse link F" and is a red wire.

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is page 130 where that wire leads to the rear. They also had a aux battery option back then. The trailer wiring is one of the hardest things to figure out, they changed it almost every year, doing it differently than the previous year.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86