Build thread

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
The recent accident set things back but when I get back from vacation 2nd week of august I plan on starting. Plan on having it finished by the end of the year.

I've got a spare running 7.3 sitting in the shop I'll be building and then swapping in. I'm not gonna mess with the bottom end, just going to put my typ4 cam in, do valve jobs, and arp studs.

Going with a dps pump and stage 1s. I like to be different. I know moose pumps are great but I want the higher govenor and I want to test one of these "new dps pumps" ken was bragging about.

I'm going to go with a water-air intercooler system. Kits aren't expensive and then I don't have to run a bunch of 3" plumbing that'll clog up my engine bay.

Gonna get a 60-1 comp wheel on my 093 and call it good. If I get ~20lbs of intercooled boost I'll be happy. Will use header wrap on manifolds, crosspipe and up-pipe.

And if I can find a unit that has an air cleaner encased where I can connect it to my cowl intake on one side and my turbo on the other I will do so. Otherwise I'll just delete the cowl intake and go with a cold air intake.

My spare engine has a brand new lift pump so I'm not going to bother with an aftermarket system yet. If I need it I'll get one later.

That's the plan so far, I'll update if things change. Looking at 2-2.5 grand for everything, not too bad.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
That sounds a lot like how i would like to build my engine. Truck it's going in will have a HUGE amount of room so i'll probably go air-to-air cooler...

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan! I've been wondering about the "new" pumps too. Do you know what all is different with them?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going with a dps pump and stage 1s. I like to be different. I know moose pumps are great but I want the higher govenor and I want to test one of these "new dps pumps" ken was bragging about.
I truely hope Ken has changed his ways and his products. I've have those same parts sitting on a shelf in my garage. I certainly hope History will not repeat itself in this case. The reason Moose pumps and injectors exist is the poor experience many members had with DPS, most are well documented here.

The build sounds good, keep us up to date.;Sweet

Heath

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I truely hope Ken has changed his ways and his products. I've have those same parts sitting on a shelf in my garage. I certainly hope History will not repeat itself in this case. The reason Moose pumps and injectors exist is the poor experience many members had with DPS, most are well documented here.

The build sounds good, keep us up to date.;Sweet

Heath

If you can even get their site to work?!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.dps-performance.com
My only question is why are you using the ATS 093 turbo when you probably have the fab skills to upgrade to something nicer. The HX and HY turbos appear to be close to a bolt on with some minor custom work. I guess the question is are they any better than an 093 in this app...or at least better enough to justify the custom work.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
The motor is unknown mileage but the PO took good care of it. Has a new water pump and lift pump and had a brand new radiator in the truck that had no oil in it when I drained it. I'll try it and see what happens.

I thought about an HX or HY but I dont know that either would be much of an improvement. I know these boost numbers can be made with a stock 093, I think it should do fine with just an upgraded compression wheel. I don't know a whole lot about turbos, I'm not sure how to increase the efficiency range, I know a stocker with no intercooler is efficient to about 12 pounds. With an intercooler and bigger comp wheel I'm hoping ~20 pounds is at least close. I'd rather try the 093 to begin with, since I already have it. If I'm not satisfied I'll upgrade later.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.dps-performance.com
My only question is why are you using the ATS 093 turbo when you probably have the fab skills to upgrade to something nicer. The HX and HY turbos appear to be close to a bolt on with some minor custom work. I guess the question is are they any better than an 093 in this app...or at least better enough to justify the custom work.

I thought one of the main issues with going to a bigger tubo what too high of boost numbers, and they wont fit?

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
another member (cant remember who) found that an hy-35 would fit where our 093 system turbos go with nothing more than massaging the intake shell down a bit. so an hx-35 should fit too. but I dont know how those turbos compare to our turbos and if they're really much of an upgrade. I already have my 093 turbo obviously so I'll just stick with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin