Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys. Sorry for no update for a while. I have done everything possible to rule out a valve failure of some sort and I just can't find anything to point any other direction. I am down to pulling the head off but just haven't had the time to do it yet. It's mid terms and next week is thanksgiving. I'll probably put the new clutch in my brothers truck on thanksgiving but doubt I'll get around to pulling the head on my truck.

I do have one question though. Is it possible to pull the head without pulling the intake and valley pan out? I mean I don't have a problem pulling the intake, but the problem arises in pulling the valley pan because to do that I have to pull the turbo back out and to do that I have to go though all the trouble of pulling the cab again and lifting it up.
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done it. I've got a feeling it would be a major PITA.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
umm don't hold me on this but i think you do have to take the intake and the valley pan off but of course that is a "i think" so don't hold me on that......

chowitworkz

Reaction score
Yep I have done it before ain't gonna say it ain't a pita but it's possible. I did both sides

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
LOL you did BOTH sides without pulling the intake, VP, and turbo? Holy crap man now thats gluttin for punishment! Well thats nice to hear that it can be done. I wonder if I should pull the clutch master and some of that other crap over there to make it easier on me.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was at the previous shop I changed both heads on a 366 gasser without pulling the intake off. Boss thought I was nuts till I got the truck back together and it ran perfect. Of course the jerk decided to pay me for the time it took instead of the time it paid.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
***. Uh, isn't that how mechanics make money, by getting something done faster than what the estimated time for the project is?

Last edited:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. But when you have a crooked boss he can pay you what he says he sold the job for and pocket the rest. That's why some shop owners drive brand new trucks and their employees hurt for money.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy is also the one who fired me when I asked for my workers comp after being put into the hospital from a brown recluse bite at work.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
***? I think I'd be looking for a better job. I'm sorry. But I guess I've been told I've got a short fuse. I'm kinda one of those guys that dont take anything from anyone. lol

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I hope he didn't just set me up for the dreaded 90k mile valve drop the 7.3's are so prone to getting.

Uh oh... :eek: hmm what's the deal with the 90K mile valve drop? I did a rebuild on a '92 7.3IDI over this last summer and had the machine shop use the valve stem seals that came with the gasket/seal kit from International/Navistar. Was that a bad move?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
So. I know someone on here posted a really good company to purchase a quality reman cylinder head from. But I cant find it. The company does all sorts of performance stuff to the heads but you can buy them stock as well. I'm trying to weigh my options. I can't get a single machine shop in town to touch the old head now that 9thou has been taken off of them and they are saying if there was a valve failure the surface of the head is probably screwed around that valve. So I either can go to the pick and pull in town and pull me a head off of another 6.9 that's been sitting forever and have it gone through, or buy and already re-manufactured one.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Check with Clearwater Cylinder Head out of Florida. Not sure on the performance options, but I've purchased a couple heads from them with good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online