Brother is looking at a 7.3

Reaction score
My brother is looking at getting into a Super Duty. I advised him to steer clear of the 6.0. Can anyone tell me if there are any issues with the earlier (1999-2002) Super Duties running the 7.3?

-I've heard some bad things about the bearings on the front axle...are they true? Is there an update for this?
-How many miles are you guys typically getting before you need injector/pump work?
-What mileage is typical with the 3.73's?
-What is the most common problem?
-What is the most common complaint?
-What's stock HP/Torque? I've gotta try and better him with my 6.9 cookoo It was alot easier when he had the 351.
-Anything else you guys can think of?

Thanks much for any replies,

Paul

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul,

I can give you some info on the 7.3 PSD in general and maybe later some of the Super Duty guys will chime in with what's specific for the SD models.

Typically, you can bank on 150,000 to at least 200,000 before injectors need any work and some have gone far longer than that.

I would say that depending on driving style, you can get at least 15mpg (heavy foot) to around 18 mpg on average.

Most common problem that plauges the 7.3's were the glow plug relay and the cam position sensor. Both are pretty inexpensive fix'es.

Most common complaint I will leave to the SD gurus.

Stock HP and TQ was 225 or 235 HP and around 500 ft lbs TQ I believe. The SD's are really good trucks overall. I wouldnt hesitate to own one.

One thing to consider is that at or around model year 2000/2001 they switched from forged rods to PM rods and the PM rods didnt stand for excess of 400 HP and high TQ numbers, so if he plans on modding it then he should keep that in mind.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Looks like Mike has you pretty well covered.

If the PMR piston rods (under 400 HP) are not a problem then try for an 02 or 03. I love my 01 but they did have some transmission solenoid problems. Nothing bad enough to keep me from buying another 01 though.

Tom

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Love my truck to death...

Spare CPS is handy to carry and easy to swap in case of a failure enroute.

Auto trannys can be cooked easy from all the power if regular fluid changes aren't done. The 4R100 is a funny thing. Will take all power you throw at it, but get it over 225 and you're on borrowed time.

Great fit and finish overall and they are SUPERDUTY quality.

Adrianspeeder

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
adrianspeeder said:
The 4R100 is a funny thing. Will take all power you throw at it,

I know a bunch of people that would argue that with you.

Tom

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
The 7.3 is a super motor. its surely is a shame that fomoco dropped it. they will run like a top all day long, and have the power to do just about anything you want:) my dad has one in his F-550 and I love it, and this is coming from a cummins guy! The auto im a bit shifty on, a stock auto on a diesel imo is sorta moot. I really like the 6 speed manual tho. trucks are put together very well as my fathers trucks frequently get beaten and they always come back for more.

great truck IMO.
Dom

Reaction score
Thanks Fellas.

How big of a deal is it to replace the CPR. By the way you guys talk, it seems like it'd be easy.

Thanks again.

Paul