Bricknose speedometer cable won't stay in place.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
My speedometer worked fine for months after swapping the zf and tcase until last week it stopped. I pulled the cable/cruise speed sensor piece out and it just broke in half. Got one from a junk yard, worked for a few days, same issue, bought a new one and it worked for a little while then stopped. I noticed if I spun the cable with a drill I could pull the cable and it'd disconnect from the cluster, push it in and it'd work again. Why does the cable move in the cover that much? I think it moves and disconnects from the t case sensor drive thing, or out of the cluster drive. Anyone had this happen?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a braided/twisted cable? May be able to hold one end and tighten the cable up. I would think that would lengthen/stretch it. Does that seem logical/resonable?:dunno

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, just weird how it was fine then one day it got too short...?

I am thinking a little bit of it broke off in your speed sensor that you said fell apart when you took it out.

barr05

Reaction score
What is the price difference? If it is a lot, and the old cable sheathing isn't damaged and/or ends coming uncrimped and the old cable wasn't all rusty and dried up, I would use the universal one. Making sure to use some kind of lube on it, like a light oil.

barr05

Reaction score
The plus side of using the universal one is you can make it slightly longer to compensate for wear in the cluster drive and transfer case.
Maybe the cable was just barely making contact in the cluster and it rounded just the very end of it off.. Just an idea..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online