Brakes

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I had a line blow the other day. And i hate brake work with a passion, i dont even like changing the pads on disc brakes, and its EASY. but yeah. The rear line blew and well i took it up to my local mechanic, he changed it bled the brakes and adjusted the shoes, charged me 44.20 total with labor and all. the lines was 20 bucks. and well I GOT A FULL PEDAL NOW.......The lines on the other hand looked like swiss cheese, holes everywhere, i guess the dirt that was caked on them was holding the fluid in.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You know that brings up a very common over looked maint item that needs looked at from time to time, especially on these older rigs - let's face it folks we ain't driving new ones. The most common place to check are the flex lines that go from the body to the axles/hub assembly because these are a moving and shaking all the time we are driving.

I was lucky in that I caught the flex lines on The Enterprise front end before they blew (missed the rear ones and Jon got caught by them) - it would have been a hairy adventure if they blew on the road. Which reminds me I probably should check them out on my goat here today or tomorrow.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
On my f150 is was 27.50 to get the rear line on it, but he had his power bleeder then too and various other things. The mechanic is real reasonable, he's older and really doesn't do any of the big hard jobs anymore.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why I replaced mine with stainless lines. I had 2 blow outs or "rust outs" in a year and the last one I had to limp home 30mi with a small trailer with only the e-brake. It cost me around $220. shipped, for every line except the flex lines, and I plan to do them soon too.

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, does anyone make DOT-legal stainless braid flex lines for our trucks? Travis brings up a good point and I'm going to R&R mine. Teflon/stainless would be nice if I can get them...

Jim