Brakes Broke, need help

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today I reinstalled my Banks turbocharger after getting a problem with the waste gate fixed and on the test drive I started getting brake problems.

Truck: 1990 F350 4X4 7.3 with Banks Sidewinder and Camper.

What Happened:

1. Left front brake doesn't release and heated up a lot. Wasn't smoking, but heat vapor was rising from the caliper area and the wheel was really hot.

2. Truck intermitently started shaking like a tire was going flat or severly out of round.

3. Truck would pull to the right when brakes were applied, but right wheel was not hot at all.

4. Brakes lost most pressure, but nothing was leaking, and the master cylinder was still full of fluid. When I pushed the brake peddle, it would go nearly to the floor, and hit a small bump which would slow and evently stop the truck.

Background:

1. Both the Master cylinder and Booster are new within the last two years and this truck doesn't get driven much due to the camper that permanently sets there. It has been 5 or 6 months since the truck was last driven.

What do you guys think. Am I due to replace the calipers, roters, and pads?

Thanks in advance for the help.

akoldnav

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Just an opinion here so don't take it as gospel.
I lean towards a bad master cylinder but could be a rear brake cylinder.

As for the left front brake. Try greasing up the pins.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
well the front brake slides could be siezed up or the caliper is freezing up and heated up your brake fluid allowing the other side to do all the braking till all your fluid was getting hot and you were experiencing severe brake fade

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet you have a bad brake hose on the left side or a really siezed caliper. My 91 did the same thing and it was the hoses, one was internally collapsing and trapping fluid in the caliper. wierd but I have seen it before. my 2 c

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, gentlemen. I will buy new hoses for the front right and left sides, and I will grease the caliper pins. Will I need to get any special grease for that, or will regular wheel bearing grease work?

akoldnav

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I second the hoses, It happened to my dads PSD with approx 80K. Rubber deteriorated and caused the caliper to lock up.