Brake Probs When Cold

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes have gone to (H E double hockey sticks) when it flipped from wet and cold to wicked cold. It's almost like the vacuum braking is reversed where it somewhat wants to suck the pedal to the floorboards and when ya get on the brakes there's almost nothing. What gives? Have all new brakes and booster (a year old now). It did this last winter in Quebec after the same weather changeover and then was fine but currently it's not. Thank god for sensible bad weather driving and a ZF 5 speed to slow it down. :dunno:

sassyrel

Reaction score
Brakes have gone to (H E double hockey sticks) when it flipped from wet and cold to wicked cold. It's almost like the vacuum braking is reversed where it somewhat wants to suck the pedal to the floorboards and when ya get on the brakes there's almost nothing. What gives? Have all new brakes and booster (a year old now). It did this last winter in Quebec after the same weather changeover and then was fine but currently it's not. Thank god for sensible bad weather driving and a ZF 5 speed to slow it down. :dunno:

air in lines, that you didint notice before??? cold weather magnifys it--fluid dropping at all??? back brakes adjusted all the way snug??--this is esp a problem--when tired hardware aint replaced--

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever change the brake fluid? Brake fluid sucks up moisture like crazy. Possible freezing in the system. That is the first thing I would do to see if it corrects the problem. About 2 quarts to flush. eh

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya Bull....u prob called it. Time to drain/replace the fluid, but it was replaced last December.

aaklingler

Reaction score
Can you hear it sucking air in the cab? Does the pedal just drop to the floor? Do you have one good push and then nothing? Sounds like booster or vacuum pump?

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ain't done anything about it yet but have too soon...just been driving very carefully and using the gears. I suspect the vacuum pump is the culprit. Everything was replaced a year ago. Ya, I know I'm playing with fire cookoo

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to taking the ol gal into the diesel truck repair shop locally. Took a couple days and initially had the wrong parts come in but it turned out to be the vacuum booster unit that had been replaced last December. Crap, I hope this isn't going to be a regular failure...it was another $380 into the brake system. Other than this issue however the truck's been excellent and I suffered major withdrawals waiting for it's return.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.