brake problem

Standstrong

Frankentruck
Reaction score
My front driver side brake is leaking fluid all over. Any ideas? The lines from the brakes to the cylinder:dunno are fine. Any ideas?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Is the actual line leaking or is it coming from the drum/rotor area? You either need a new wheel cylinder or a new brake line.

Glad to meet other locals on here...

zpd307

Reaction score
it would be the line-obvious, or probably the piston seals in the caliper.

Standstrong

Frankentruck
Reaction score
Well its not the lines, and i was thinking the piston seals as well. Now do i have to replace the entire caliper or is there a kit

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the whole thing their not expensive or hard to change out.

zpd307

Reaction score
you could repair it...... but if the piston bore is f'd up, than you will have to replace them. and they do..... i had an old subaru that i thought i would repair the calipers on, the bores had rust pitted very bad. i dont bother repairing anymore.

zpd307

Reaction score
be more specific on what you want to know and i will help you. are you a brake newbie in general...... if your brake hoses, rubber, are even questionable, this is the time to replace them. since you will need to bleed the system after the caliper install. no sense in having to bleed twice after a hose blows later, and they do and it sucks.

Standstrong

Frankentruck
Reaction score
Ok so i removed the old assembly, and placed the new caliper and pads on. placed in the pins and connected the line. Im not getting any reaction to the pistons. What am I doing wrong?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have somebody pump the pedal while you bled the air off at the caliper?

Get some one to push the pedal to the floor 5 or so times and hold it, then open the bleeder valve and let the fluid run into a jar(use a hose coming off of the bleeder screw). Then close the bleeder screw and have the person let off the brake pedal and do the process over again until you get a steady flow of fluid with no air.

This is pretty much the process used to bleed each wheel. I usually start at the back right and do the ones that are farthest from the booster first, if youre planning on bleeding the entire system.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bleed somewhat different, but it's never failed me, and you'll need a helper for that one too:

1) you open the bleed valve on the caliper
2) tell your helper to step on the brake pedal (it will sink easy)
3) when you helper tells you pedal hit the floor, you close the bleed valve
4) after bleeder is closed, you tell your helper to release the pedal

Repeat 1 to 4 till no more air is bubbling out the bleeder, and you have solid stream of brake fluid coming out.