brake light problem

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During the vegas idi meet-up, a few guys told me that me right tail light wasn't working, but my right turn signal was. So, i checked the fuses, and relays, and the brake switch. Now I don't have any brake or turns on the left side. Right side is working fine now. I do have running lights in both. i fiddled with the plug for the bulb, and actually broke off a contact for the bulb. I replaced both bulb sockets, but still have no stop/turn on the left. Do you think it's the brake switch at the pedal? I was going to order one from rock auto, less than 4 bucks, and replace the flashers as well.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like some wire somewhere is broken perhaps...to just stop on one side...try unplugging the main tail lite sub harness under the box and test with a test light at the feed side of the connector, if you have power there then it's from there to tail light. If not then go up to the main harness connnectors on drivers inner fender and test there! If power it's between those two if not...then dig deeper and pray!

JM2CW and just think...its a free 2 cents worth at that!

LOL

:popcorn

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trailer wiring t-tapped into the rear harness is the usual culprit. If you have brake lights on one side, the pedal switch is working. Likely a broken wire back there from previous owners attempts at trailer wiring...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I had fun redoing the wires on the donkey of my truck. If you need a wiring diagram I can pull one up for you.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Also, a good light on stick tester will tell you iffen you are getting voltage at the socket. Test that, because it could be as simple as a bad ground. Always start by checking the ground.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your problem with the left turn/stop is the wire from the tail light to the turn signal switch. The wire to the rear is a light green with a orange strip. IIRC That wire goes directly to the turn signal switch thru a NC contact for brake light and is switched there for flashing for turn or hazard. If you don't understand this, I will copy the circuit and post it.

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a test light when replacing my bulb sockets. I had the running light and nothing else on the left. I used the black wire at that harness for the ground. I could recheck the ground. Also my turn signal cam does not click into place or self cancel.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have had a few butchered harnesses I had to replace. Junk yard has plug and play fix LOL
I usually go to the plug by the rear cross member but have had to go further to fix super Scotch lock nightmares.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a test light when replacing my bulb sockets. I had the running light and nothing else on the left. I used the black wire at that harness for the ground. I could recheck the ground. Also my turn signal cam does not click into place or self cancel.
Pull the steering wheel and replace the turn signal switch, it's broke.

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a few butchered harnesses I had to replace. Junk yard has plug and play fix LOL
I usually go to the plug by the rear cross member but have had to go further to fix super Scotch lock nightmares.

Scotch locks should be outlawed!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to get some Dielectric grease for your contacts. especially if you're in an area prone to corrosion. When you unplug harness wipe some fresh dielectric grease on the connectors prior to reconnecting. Also smear it in bulb sockets, this helps prevent corrosion and makes removal and so forth much much easier, especially those nefarious 1156/7 bulbs those are the worst for binding in socket from corrosion.

JMF2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

I'm with oldbull8 on this one. You even posted there was a problem with the turn signal indicater switch.. time to pull the wheel and replace it. Not too bad of a job. I leave the wheel nit on the last couple of threads. then pull up and rock the wheel from side to side till it breaks loose from the shaft. That way I don't end up in the back seat from pulling hard and suddenly it lets go..

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an easy fix. Just requiring some time and a few beers. Since the other parts are cheap enough, I still might replace them as well.

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the steering wheel and replace the turn signal switch, it's broke.

that was exactly it. I placed an order through rock auto, used a 5% coupon, and had it shipped. Placed it in the truck today, and now everything is working perfectly! Thanks everyone!