Boxing a frame

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, A friend of mine has a 85 f150 that is beeing totally redone right now and I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on strenghthening the frame he is planning on putting a 460 in it:backoff (I just told him to throw an IDI in it) So anyway the body is off the frame and is sandblasted down to bare metal, would boxing the frame give it much help, I have heard and seen that it is a good idea if you have the time and ambition to do it, Thanks-Brad-

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Boxing the frame is a good way to add stiffnes but yes it is allot of work. the ones i have seen done they used cardboard as a template and cut 1/4 thick or somthing equivalent with a plasma cutter to fit. you are then supposed to make a 45 chamfer between the frame and plate so your weld gets good penitration. they also "stitch" the weld so if one were to crack it cant follow the whole way down he seam easily. might want to try to get some paint in there to for ruat prevention.

are you sure it needs stiffened, i helped a buddy put a warmed up 460 in a F150 and he didnt do anything to the frame and it seemed fine. we did not treat it nice at all, maybe it was fine because we couldent hold traction......:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I say, prime and paint the frame and drop that gas guzzler in there.;Sweet
I have a worked up 460 in my 85 3/4 ton and the frame is super rusty. It does just fine.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My concern might be the 8.8" rear end in that 1/2 ton if he's going to be driving it hard. A 9" from an earlier 1/2 ton would bolt right in. I picked up an 81 F100 junker, it has the 9". Not sure when they switched over.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
the guy i helped out had a 78 truck with the 9", i would agree the 8.8 are decent but would probubly toast iself quickly with a healthy 460. might even want a sterling or 60 so you dont have to worry about it.

if its two wheel drive i hope you dant plan on going anywhere in snow. when we put all that weight in the front it was helpless in even wet grass sometimes.LOL