Box on C&C

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
So I just picked up a 1992 F350 today. So happy to have an IDI again.

The truck is a flatbed, and I believe it is a cab and chassis, especially after seeing a incomplete vehicle tag of sorts in the original paperwork that came with the truck.

My question is, I would like to put a proper truck box on it, rather than the flatbed. It was my understanding that the C&C had narrower frames. Has anyone put a regular box on a C&C and how hard was it/anything have to be modified?

Thanks!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Keep the flatbed.
Iirc, you will also have to modify the fender wells.
Look up the vin.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a regular 8 ft dually bed on my 92 F450 cab/chassis with 11 ft from back of the cab to end of frame.
I then built a 2'8'' tool box with the ends the same profile as the bed to fill the gap. Centered the dually bed fenders over the Cab Chassis rear axle and it looks "right".

To mount the dually bed, I had to fabricate and weld on the frame a set of bed mounts because the CC frame is more narrow and has no "bed mount brackets".

About one days work, ran a string line to set the level of the brackets. Wire feed welder zipped the new brackets on. Been using it for about 5 yrs now... no issues. From 20 ft away, it looks like a really long dually bed.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cab and chassis dually axle/rim combination does not fill out the pickup bed dually fenders like they would on a pickup do they? Is that very noticeable?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe a dually rear axle and a dual wheel c/c axle are different width, so a dually box might look a little funny.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I presently own 3 dually Ford trucks, so have a pretty good side by side comparison. It's not an issue. Unless you are building a show truck and measuring with a micrometer, it's plenty good, wheel width wise.

Far as I can tell, the only major difference between cab chassis rear ends and regular pickup dually rear ends is the CC rear spring perches are inboard by a couple inches +-.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I presently own 3 dually Ford trucks, so have a pretty good side by side comparison. It's not an issue. Unless you are building a show truck and measuring with a micrometer, it's plenty good, wheel width wise.

Far as I can tell, the only major difference between cab chassis rear ends and regular pickup dually rear ends is the CC rear spring perches are inboard by a couple inches +-.

So you are saying the distance from the dually fender lip to the outside dually tire is not noticeable? What is it, about 1 inch on each side difference compared to a regular pickup setup?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... I just put a tape measure on the CC with a dually bed so I have real measurements to give you.

1992 F450 single cab/ Cab Chassis frame: At the bottom edge of the fenders I have 1 inch fender overhang from outside of 235/85/16 tires. At the top radius of the fender, to the edge of the tread, 2 inches.Bed is mounted so wheel opening centers on the tire, so equal spacing front and rear for tire clearance.. being a 450, with huge springs, space over the top is more than my 350.. to be expected.. still it matches the front tire fender spacing.. no problem with the way it looks.

On my 1992 F350 Crew Cab, Long bed Dually [came with a bed]: At bottom edge of fender, same 1 inch to outside of 235/85/16 tires.. Top, same 2 inches.

On my 2005 F350 Crew Cab, Long bed Dually with 285/75/17 Mud tires.. I have, without the fender flares [after market] 2 inches of tire outside the edge of the dually fender at the top of fender... 3 inches of tire showing at bottom edge, front and rear.... add on fender flares cover tire overhang [just barely]...

There you have it... Hope that helps..

By taking off the service body the F450 came with [bought it used and the service body was a POS], I was able to insure and register the truck as a private pickup, instead of a "commercial vehicle", by putting on the dually bed. The 450 has 10 bolt axles, and is a "real 1 ton truck" [rides like a brick unless it's loaded, really loaded.] I have 4 inches of frame at the rear of the bed, a serious pentle hitch, a regular 2 inch receiver hitch.. and a 5th wheel hitch... It's a work truck that works..

Hope this helps.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Appreciate all the info!

I've been looking for a box but so far nothing decent as far as rust goes. I may end up keeping the flatbed for now, although it needs to be re-worked if I do as it's designed for a SRW (previous owner ran without the duals, no clue why).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online