Bought the 86 f350, swap begins

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello i have a problem. i have a 1990 dodge cummins 4x4 auto(727). This drive train setup is going into a 1986 ford f350 4x4 that has a 460/c6/np208

Problem 1: Need a drivers side drop transfer case that will bolt up to the 727.First that comes to mind is nv241.

Problem 2: I want to use a np205 but the dodge and ford 205's are way different. So i though swap out the input shaft to the ford unit. well that would make the shaft way to long. and they use a wierd adapter. See where i am going with this?

Problem 3: speedometer issues. how would i make it work correctly when swapping out the cases?

here is the info site for all needs.
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Tcase_NP205.htm

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the transfer case is your major concern get a 2wd dodge trans and get an old divorce mounted t case. Your not building something easy. but that would probably be the cheapest and most simple.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey JM2CW but you could just as easily swap a Dodge or (COUGH) cheby 1 ton front end under your truck and be setup with a RHS drop pumpkin to match the dodge driveline....

Voila, problem solved...no issues with fancy adapters or changing input shafts and miss matched parts....just change that front diff and yer done like dogfood

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i could do that and suprisingly enough i have everything needed but i want to keep my high pinion dana 60 in my ford.

hey guys am about to have my tranny built and was wondering if there is anything special i should have added or inspected etc since it is going to be holding behind a 700 lbft cummins.

Any perticular products/ rebuild kits i should use?

Still trying to figure out how to use the 205 case married.

Last edited:

fultonphoto

Reaction score
dude just swap out the front dif from the dodge and save your self the hassles of special adapters. Then sell your high pinion D60 to someone who is building a 4X4 for special needs. Should be able to get $600 to $800 for it. It would help on your build costs.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aint gonna do it, wouldnt be prudent!

Anyways the guy with the 6.0l setup has lowered the price yet again and it now sits at 3500.00! ?Man thats tempting, but not? I dont know.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Don't put the 6.0 in you will regret it. They are junk. You would regret it.

I dont think they are complete junk. But I would say that there are a lot of people that have had problems with them, and others have had no problems. Its kind of hit and miss, either you get a lemon or you dont.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Okay did I miss something? I thought you were going to put a IDI into a 79 F350? From what I remember you even bought a doner truck with a C6 & a gear venders. What happened to that idea & where did the 86 come from?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sold the one 79 and donor truck and have decided to go with something better. So i bought a gorgeous 86 f350 4x4 lariat and am putting some kind of turbo diesel in that. I have a complete 1990 cummins 4x4 truck for 1300 bucks or some other options such as the 6.0l setup etc.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so guys, whats up? Haven't talked to you all in a while, ive been super busy but heres a run down of what is going on.

1. got the price quote to rebuild the 727, hold you breath 1800 bucks!!! ouch of course this is one built sob, but i was thinking around 1200.
2. so i have considered just keeping my c6 and using destroked adapters to bolt up my cummins, but then again thats 1400 bucks!
3. So that makes me wonder about trying to rebuild the 727 my self, but the new issue is that the 241 case is a electric speedo and to make it work with a mechanical requires a slip yoke eliminator and it is 800 bucks.
4. The build has been put into overdrive for the reason that on the ride home on tuesday my 86 broke a rocker and because its a gas guzzler anyway im not going to fix it.

If i kept my c6 etc i would have to use some kind of vaccum setup to shift correctly? I dont know much about tranny stuff so i really need some input here on making it shift correctly

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Take some good advice from those of us who have done some major swaps and fabrication work. Put the dodge axle under the front of your F350. If the 727 still shifts well and works just fine the way it is, then leave it alone and stick it in the truck. Cranking up the cummins to put out big hp numbers is not a smart thing to do, unless you like spending lots of money on driveline repairs. From the way you talk, your worried about coming up with money to rebuild the trans, so if thats the case don't bother turning up the motor, just drive it.
Alot of people here with years of experiance with these trucks are trying to offer good advice and steer you in the right direction. But if you don't want our honost, good advice, then you're on your own.