Bought a car Hauler

hjalbert

Reaction score
Bought a car Hauler with pics

I bought a car hauler today. Its got about 17feet long total, and eight feet between the wheels. I want to add brakes if possible. Its a "tandem", but Each hub/wheel is independent, and welded to the side frame enableing the trailer to stay very low, but allowing for no suspension. I think this may be a weakness and a strength. Time will tell. I was wondering If anyone knew of a way to add on brakes to this type of axle (I dont know what it is called) I prefer a surge system, but figure electric is easier as far as an isntall. Any recomendations? John
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
You could add 10" electric to that one probably for about $200/axle.

But what concerns me is your overall width. If you are 8' inside the tires you are over the max legal 8'6" overall width outside the tires??? Some states may get you.

Albin

Reaction score
I think I saw a pic of that trailer in M.M Smith's book on designing and building trailers as an example of what NOT to make or buy.

No suspension *usually* = very low life to the frame due to stress concentrations. The tongue to frame connection consists of 3 butt welds, a weak design. It looks like the frame has already been bent, but it just may appear that way due to way it's sitting on the ground.

You could spend a lot of money fixing it up, but I think you could start off with something better.

My .02.

Al

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to cut off those stubs, and keep your eyes out for a wrecked stock trailer, for a good used pair of Torq-Flex axles.