Boring A Sleeved 7.3???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No, I'm not doing this just yet. I just wanted some imput on wether you would do it or just install another set of sleeves. We have 3 differant thickness of sleeves for these motors.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would hone it all the way to the high side of clearance before boring, also you cant bore a thinwall sleeve except within design parameters, geez look who I'm tellin this too, I feel stupid now. lol. Anyway I tried to bore a thick cast iron sleeve in a 300 six and it didnt work, got warm and let go of the block, raised hell with the boring head.:mad: Call LA sleeve and see what they recommend.

BTW what did the shop say about the core plug falling out???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They didn't say much. They know they will be paying for this mess. I will be fair and pay for parts and some of the valve job but they are paying for just about everything. I wanted to pull my heads before this and have the guides done so I feel its fair for me to be paying for that. I'm kinda sick that the ported new heads are cracked and really useless now. I may look into having them weld repaired but dought if I would ever trust them. I have one shop out here and one on the east coast that I feel good with them welding cast iron. I have done plenty of stick and tig welding but cast iron is something else. I was tigging inconel for the last 3 years on steam turbine stationary diaphrams. That stuff is hard to grind for sure. Sometimes we would bury the tungston in the puddle and let it cool, then break it off and tig over it. The guys doing the machining after us would break their carbide cutting tools and really be mad as hell at us.....:rotflmao

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least they know they screwed up. I would weigh the cost of welding with some more new heads, I use lots of welded heads on big diesels and we have a great shop here in Portland but they said IDI heads are cheaper to buy than repair. Just something to mull over. I may be coming to LA after new years, we should get together.
Russ

sassyrel

Reaction score
ican--we have a shop in iowa--at nevada--used to be called nevada head service--but believe the name changed--theyre good---