borgeson steering shaft

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally decided I am going to replace the steering shaft on my truck with a Borgeson. My question is should I get a shaft with or without the vibration reducer? I figured I would ask since I know some others on here have been running them and just wanted some input and opinions.
Thanks,
Alex

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the Borgeson with so-called vibration reducer for the last several years.

My only issue with the vibration-reducer is that the much-too-short pop-rivets that hold the thin metal sleeve over the dampener have all lost out, thus allowing the sleeve to migrate around where it pleases.

This is more of an annoyance than a major fault with the shaft.

I have never driven a Ford with the standard Borgeson, so I can't say whether the dampener is an asset or a liability.

After I already had the Borgeson, I became familiar with the Flaming River shafts.

In my opinion, the Flaming River "deluxe" shaft is much the better shaft.

I think Mel has a Flaming River on his truck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I called and asked before ordering mine up, ( well I had to, at the time, they didnt have a stock number for a 92 so it had to be a custom anyway , but....) I was told for racing to go straight coupler, and for street use, to get the vibration dampner, as it would save a bit of wear and tear on your wrists and the ujoints in the shaft., so I got the dampner. Its not some wishy washy thing like the rag joint, it's downright hard to tell that it would move at all holding it in your hands, but it is designed to just take some of the harsh shock load that can snap things out.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard the original factory rag joint, and the aftermarket damper piece, eliminate some of the hydraulic "hissing" that can come from the steering box when it's working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7