Bored redneck plus hoarding = PID controlled block heater

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
I had the pleasure last winter of realizing my block heater did not work. I managed to get through the winter ok without it but had my moments of frustration. Through out the summer I collected a few things my work was discarding. One of which was a brand new 120V PID heat controller. Really nice compact unit which I knew would work perfect. With some slight modifications and a custom made hanging bracket I was able to use my brake controller mount And avoid poking new holes in the bash and making it looked cluttered. The TC wire was a little short so I mounted it under a valve cover bolt for the time being. I will move to a different location if I cannot get a good temp measurement from there. I think it will work well. I can keep it plugged in all night and maintain an exact temp and extend the life of the heater by not running it wide open all the time. Is it overkill? Probably but it is cool ha!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
Thanks. Any suggestions on my block temp set-point? Really looking to utilize this thing to its maximum potential but can’t find anything on optimum block temps.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have no idea. The few times that I actually plug mine in, I just want it to start in the morning. I don't really think about the coolant temp.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's both overkill but neat/cool. With regards to the right temperature, I would suggest trial and error. I seemed to remember 55-60 degrees ambient temps being where I would notice a bad glowplug when initial cold starting my old IDI. Again, that's ambient temps, but I'd keep turning down the temps until you figure out what's enough to help your initial cold starts.

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
I will have to play around with it some and see what that magic number is. Not sure about your truck but mine does not like the cold. Any start 40F or bellow and there is a big difference in initial engine noise. undoubtedly due to higher oil viscosity and reduced lubrication.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my block heater was working good, it's on the way out, it would keep 110* overnight in about 20* temps. I'd start there and work your way down until it gets hard to start, then bump up a few degrees.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive noticed when I start mine off of the block heater, its warm enough the cold advance isn't activated or high idle. It fires up great, but seems to idle low. I have the toggle and hole drilled for the high idle mod, just need the diod.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry that was half a thought. Point being if the block heater is getting coolant temp above the 112* (or what ever it is) the sensor switches off at, and I thought I read that ford/international used the glow plugs for below 70*. That a happy spot would be just around 70* that way you still have advance and high idle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online