Bonded or riveted brake shoes?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm on the fence about if I should go with bonded brake shoes or riveted.

I've read that riveted will tear up the drums if they wear out too far, due to the rivets sticking up. Supposedly bonded are made well enough these days that they don't come apart usually, unless they are very worn down. But the at least you don't have rivets digging into the drums when you brake. They might still cause drum damage, but it probably wouldn't be as bad as rivet damage.

The lifetime warranty isn't extremely useful since I'd have to pull them off of the RV before I can go in and get new ones, which is hard when I'm out on the road. Not impossible, just potentially difficult.

Maybe I should go with the online sourced heavy duty riveted ones instead of budget, store brand bonded and just not worry about the rivet damage concern?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's what I would do. The only time that I have had any brake parts come apart was a pad on the front of the 1975 F150 that I used to have. It was late Sunday afternoon and I was driving around. I hit the brakes coming up to a red light and felt a "thud" in the truck and brake pedal. I looked in the mirror and saw something black laying in the street that hadn't been there before. When I also realized that there was a grinding noise when I pushed on the brake pedal, I knew what it was. I had no choice but the keep driving since there wasn't any parts stores open. I had to wait until the next day to buy new pads so I had a little bit of damage on that rotor. I just put the new pads on and drove it. I really don't think that linings coming off is a really common issues these days unless the brakes are very old or very worn down.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's what I would do.

Which, bonded or riveted? Sounds like you were saying bonded, but not sure. I asked two different things inadvertently. I ask bonded instead at the start, then ask riveted instead of bonded at the end. It's my fault, I don't always write things as well as it could be written.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should go with the online sourced heavy duty riveted ones instead of budget, store brand bonded and just not worry about the rivet damage concern?

Can't speak for him but this is what I'll be doing with my dually.

ps444mike

Reaction score
i use the factory pads an shoes.. I think that the lifetime pads an shoes are to hard an wear out your rotors an drums.. yes or no ?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welllll!!
Fwiw

There is NO FEELING like pulling over the summit and rolling down the grade only to have the bonded pads shed the friction material from exess heat due to the c-6 having no decomp. Braking!!!!

Ask me how I know:frustrate

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Which, bonded or riveted? Sounds like you were saying bonded, but not sure. I asked two different things inadvertently. I ask bonded instead at the start, then ask riveted instead of bonded at the end. It's my fault, I don't always write things as well as it could be written.
Just get the heavy duty ones from the store like Chillman said he'll be doing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Either way, if the material gets worn down enough, it will probably come off (or at least drag rivets). Either situation would be bad. You're constantly hauling a lot of weight, but you don't really put on all that many miles in a year so either type should last you quite a while.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Welllll!!
Fwiw

There is NO FEELING like pulling over the summit and rolling down the grade only to have the bonded pads shed the friction material from exess heat due to the c-6 having no decomp. Braking!!!!

Ask me how I know:frustrate

Manual downshifting gives some engine braking. You still have to brake some, but not nearly as much.

Just get the heavy duty ones from the store like Chillman said he'll be doing.

Heavy duty shoes at retail prices are $60-80. Online, they are $32.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're right. I was thinking that you were talking about heavy duty ones from a store. I was wrong on your source, but I still would just get the heavy duty ones and not worry about the rivets. With your weight, I'd go with the heavy duty ones VS the standard duty ones. With most trucks, the majority of miles driven are empty.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You're right. I was thinking that you were talking about heavy duty ones from a store. I was wrong on your source, but I still would just get the heavy duty ones and not worry about the rivets. With your weight, I'd go with the heavy duty ones VS the standard duty ones. With most trucks, the majority of miles driven are empty.

Yeah. These are what I have my eye on:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IY48Q0/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_KRRBEb5V39PE9

Btw, Napa has lost their mind. A $13.50 core on brake shoes? They're all listed that way.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Strange. I haven't paid a core charge on brake shoes in years. I always ask though. Of course, I rarely use NAPA.

The other chains don't charge it, so I don't know what Napa is thinking. Never had it on brake shoes I've bought in the past.

Oh and that's an advantage to buying parts online sometimes. I didn't have to mess with core on my wiper motor because it was random person selling a NOS. Just as well, one of the mounting points got broken somehow on the old, bad motor.

Now on the brake booster from Autozone on ebay I did have core charge, but i was able to return it in a store, with no return shipping cost.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
from what I remember, they all used to have a core charge on brake shoes. That way they could get old ones back so that they could be relined. I haven't messed with them in years, but I think that medium and heavy duty trucks still have a core charge on brake shoes for this reason.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
from what I remember, they all used to have a core charge on brake shoes. That way they could get old ones back so that they could be relined. I haven't messed with them in years, but I think that medium and heavy duty trucks still have a core charge on brake shoes for this reason.

It's good for being less wasteful, it's just odd that only they are doing it. Maybe they sell so few of those shoes that it offsets the cost to manufacture them? Who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online