Body to frame bushings install question

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to install the Energy Suspension body to frame bushings. Got the front and middle bushings done a few weeks back. Just did the rear this evening, that is when I ran into a problem. Driver's side rear had a single 1/2" thick shim, passenger side had a 1/16" thick shim. With them both in place, the back of the cab is way higher than the bed. It was 1/16 to 1/8" lower with the old bushings. So if I take out the shims, the driver's side of the cab is 1/8" high, the passenger's side is 1/2" high. :confused:

Has anyone else run into this problem? Any ideas?

Last edited:

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shimming the bed was one of my first thoughts. But the factory bed bolts appear to be too short. Also the goose neck hitch would need to be shimmed and those bolts are just long enough right now.

Going to call Energy Suspension on Monday and verify that these are the correct bushings for the rear.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
JPR said:
Shimming the bed was one of my first thoughts. But the factory bed bolts appear to be too short. Also the goose neck hitch would need to be shimmed and those bolts are just long enough right now.

Going to call Energy Suspension on Monday and verify that these are the correct bushings for the rear.

After my Energy Suspension cab mounts were installed my bed was crooked too. One shim placed at front of bed on passenger side squared me up. There was no problem with my bed bolt.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
If they are the urethane bushings I see no reason you can't shave them a little , just snug them up in the vise and take a little off the top with an angle grinder or sawzall and if they compress over time you can always go back to the shimms.
Tim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think what would cause shims to be needed in the first place. Is this the result of the body mounts not being on the frame where they should be?

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am waiting for the engineering dept at Energy Suspension to call me back, technical support was not sure. My thought was to carefully cut the a 1/2" off with the band saw and use that under the lower bushing. The overall height has to stay the same do to the Ford steel inserts.

I assume the 1/16" shim is to correct a minor problem, ie mfg tolerances in the cab, frame and bushings. The 1/2" shim is for the bushing, because the installed height is the same as the other side with the 1/16" shim.