Blue Devil Sealer, now what?

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awhile back I had a decent leak on the head gaskets of my engine, enough that on the way to the mechanic by my parents house coolant was squirting out. The mechanic was trying to save me money and was also maybe a little too busy and suggested blue devil stop leak. My radiator was new so I wasn't worried about that but I disregarded the long term potential issues for the engine. Anyways, the leak has been sealed and isn't really an issue anymore (it's been probably close to a year) but I want to fix the gaskets anyways. The local guy that will work on it was really put off that I used Blue Devil and said I would need to do a pretty extensive flush blah blah... is this true? Everything runs fine and I've done compression check since and compression is fine.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thier power steering leak stop worked for a day on my steering gear box, then the seals totally went. They never even responded to my request for a refund on their "guaranteed to work or your money back" claim. Very shady company.

You must be registered for see images attach

I would budget in for a new water pump, since cooling system stop leak tends to kill water pumps within a few years, in my opinion. At the very least, check your and clean thermostat if it's gunky from the stop leak, if not replace it. Motorcraft thermostats only only.

Last edited:

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^Haha. I'm going about 1 year strong. Maybe they didn't use it and just charged me for it but instead used some old school mechanic sorcery

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s been holding for a year, I’d probably let it be for now. Head gasket replacement is one of those jobs that can grow exponentially in time and money. If compression is good, and it’s running fine, and the leak is stopped I would call it a win and keep driving it.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
"Pretty extensive flush" of..what? Coolant? Its pretty easy to flush your coolant system, not sure why a mechanic would have some kind of concern about it.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Pretty extensive flush" of..what? Coolant? Its pretty easy to flush your coolant system, not sure why a mechanic would have some kind of concern about it.

Thats what I was unsure of, he mentioned it on the phone but I don't remember exactly what he said. If you're doing the heads you're changing the coolant anyways. Sounded like he was concerned it could get into some of the cylinders or something? Never met the guy before and he came recommended by someone else so who knows.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Yeah if hes going to have the heads off and do that level of work, im not sure why a coolant flush would be a point of concern. Thats peanuts compared to the rest of what hes doing.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be time for a new mechanic. There's no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle. Yeah it may have stopped the leak, but it also coats the inside of your heater core, radiator, and other things. Eventually things have the potential to plug up.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Blue Devil is some pretty amazing stuff as far as head gaskets go. Maybe score another motor and build it while you're driving on the "borrowed time" motor. But blue devil isnt like the pellet stuff that clogs up heater cores and water pumps, it some how reacts with heat and air.......or something....... IDK, there's legends about that stuff.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a bottle one time when returning home from a hunting trip, I think it was the third and I know it was the last champion radiator that failed. Anyway I stopped at an auto parts store and they suggested Blue Devil, prior to that I never heard of it. Looks like blue Gatorade, transparent blue, no chunks or milky texture. Dumped into that leaking like a sieve champion and it sealed her up! Anyway that was probably 5 years ago and yes I replaced the rad with a stock brass unit however the heater core is the same one and so is the engine with no I'll effects. The product impressed me to the point I carry a bottle everywhere I go. If you're wanting to tear down your engine and do head gaskets, the blue devil would be absolutely no concern to me. Just my two cents.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have no experience with the blue devil stuff, But I think some of you guys would be surprised at coolant stop leak being used at the oem level, and also in pretty much every reman engine I have ever installed.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the type of legend I'm talking about, catbird! Before I knew what cavitation was( thanks to Oil burners, you guys are great) I actually put it in my cavitated 7.3na, thinking that it was just head gaskets. And it almost worked, it definitely slowed the leaking down. But it was too late......

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a bottle one time when returning home from a hunting trip, I think it was the third and I know it was the last champion radiator that failed. Anyway I stopped at an auto parts store and they suggested Blue Devil, prior to that I never heard of it. Looks like blue Gatorade, transparent blue, no chunks or milky texture. Dumped into that leaking like a sieve champion and it sealed her up! Anyway that was probably 5 years ago and yes I replaced the rad with a stock brass unit however the heater core is the same one and so is the engine with no I'll effects. The product impressed me to the point I carry a bottle everywhere I go. If you're wanting to tear down your engine and do head gaskets, the blue devil would be absolutely no concern to me. Just my two cents.

Good to know. A lot of us on here are perfectionists or rather purists which I appreciate but sometimes things aren't perfect and you have to be practical. The mechanic who suggested it and used it is very old school and bleeds diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online