Blow off valve

Hoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many of you are running one and how do you like it? I had mine installed at the same time as my HX40 and I love it!!! I do not hear too much talk about them and I wondered how many other guys are using them? I currently run off a throttle activated micro switch but plan to upgrade to the new electronic controller soon!

Hoss

Hoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A blow off valve mounts on the tube between the intercooler and the air horn. when you make excessive boost and come off the throttle hard it opens to release the pressure rather than sending it back to your turbo and rapidly slowing (or stopping) the impeller blades. Otherwise known as barking the turbo. It works like a charm the only problem is it is triggered by a micro switch controlled by the throttle peddle so it only opens if you come completely off the throttle. They now have an electronic controler that will release even if you only come partway off and will close before you loose all boost so you do not have to build back up from 0psi on each shift ect...Saves on the life of your turbo.

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn it! I type too slow!

I like the idea. Problem is: BD is the only one I know of making it.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Pops.... How much are they - with the electronic gizmo and all.... I looked at BD's site and didnt find a price. I bark my PDR35 constantly...

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stoked
Damn it! I type too slow!

I like the idea. Problem is: BD is the only one I know of making it.

WRONG!

HKS makes the SSQBOV for diesel trucks as wellhere

AND IIRC the BD one is a modified TIAL unit like this onehere

gwhammy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you notice the turbo coming in quicker at shifts or any other per. difference?

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Got Juice?
WRONG!

Easy there Jerky! I said BD was the ONLY ONE I KNEW OF. Not the only one making it.

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stoked
Easy there Jerky! I said BD was the ONLY ONE I KNEW OF. Not the only one making it.

wasn't meant as flamage..lol... i forgot to add the buzzer sound at the beginning

;p

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Got Juice?
wasn't meant as flamage..lol... i forgot to add the buzzer sound at the beginning

;p

We're cool. I was totally unaware of the product until I saw the one BD came out with. My problem with them relates to their lack of customer service should I have an issue with their product. Now that I know there are others, I'll look there.

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
Actual performance of a BOV is to prevent the compressor from surging (barking) as well as keeping the compressor's inertia up between shifts. at least in a gasser (probably relates to a diesel as well) when you slam the throttle closed between shifts the back inlet pressure can bark/stall the compressor so when the next gear is selected you start from 0 psi again.
with a bov installed you actually realize a 2-10 (depending on initial boost) pickup in response as the excess pressure is vented to atmosphere gently relieving the pressure , rather than the wastegate dumping all the exhaust energy.
So goes the theory anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online