Block heater?

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Well today was the first really cold day of the year and the 6.9 didnt really care for it this morning:dunno . I know I have heard with the older 6.9's you shouldnt use the factory block heater(Mine doesnt have one anyway)because the freeze port is prone to cracks. What are people using? What about somthing like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&item=250190568637&_trksid=p3907.m29 , Will this work? Where would You put it? Good/bad idea in general. Thanks

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I used a Kats magnetic heater before on it and it worked just fine. I might suggest using a coolant heater, they work good on the tractors.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The guy that had my low mile truck told me he was going to put a tractor coolant heater in it. Easily available at any tractor supply. Like $50.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This kind is the easiest to install. http://cgi.ebay.com/Kats-2-ID-Lower...ryZ11756QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem The tank heaters look easy but you have to run a hose to the block drain for the coolant to circulate.

You'd have to measure the hose to see if 2" is big enough. I remember I got one at the auto parts store and I really had to clamp the hose down (and it blew off a few times) but I think the biggest they had at the store was 1-3/4" but I don't remember for sure.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
600 watts isnt enough though is it? Not to heat the coolant capacity of an IDI I dont think.

Anyone have any more input?

suv7734

Reaction score
That one you showed that you were looking at looks like the one I use with a pump built into it so you don't need to connect to the block drain like the one I mistakenly posted. I cannot find any further info on that one to confirm it has a pump. As long as it has the pump it will circulate throught the system and not rely on convection like the one without the pump. The one I have is an older Temro model and is 1,500 watts but does not constantly draw that much since it has a themostatic control.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That one you showed that you were looking at looks like the one I use with a pump built into it so you don't need to connect to the block drain like the one I mistakenly posted. I cannot find any further info on that one to confirm it has a pump. As long as it has the pump it will circulate throught the system and not rely on convection like the one without the pump. The one I have is an older Temro model and is 1,500 watts but does not constantly draw that much since it has a themostatic control.

Which one?

suv7734

Reaction score

suv7734

Reaction score
That's 'cause it's probably 20 years old and been on 3 different trucks :rotflmao
I'm sorry I can't find any numbers on it because they are long since gone. :dunno
Maybe give the vendor a call to confirm it has the pump. Like I said it looks the same in the picture but if it doesn't have the pump it's a whole different plumbing game as has been posted to get it to work properly since it will then be relying on convection to transfer the heat. If that makes any senseLOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online