block heater

PERONI

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Well it's finally gotten cold in my part of New England, figured I'd plug the truck in. The block heater in my truck has never been used as previous owner never drove it in the winter. Have it timed to come on 3hrs before I leave for work. When heater is plugged in it sounds sorta like an electric tea kettle. I feel around where it goes into the block and it's warm to the touch but rest of engine is cold. I hear other guys can melt frost off their hoods and have heat in the cab straight away with the block heater having been plugged in. I don't seem to be doing anything other than run up my electric bill. How can I tell if the damn thing is really working or not? I did the Marinco charger plug mod, if I got the two main wires backward would it make a differance?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you feel the heater and it is warm, it is working.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pop the hood before you start it and see if the top radiator hose is warm.where in MA. are you from?i live in plymouth and have a shop in whitman.

PERONI

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
pop the hood before you start it and see if the top radiator hose is warm.where in MA. are you from?i live in plymouth and have a shop in whitman.
Ok yep it works, hose was warm this am after being on for 4hrs. I'm about 40 miles fom you up here in Sheldonville.