Block heater test

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i just got my new cord and since it's cold as all hell outside decided i'l test it. So i just plugged itin, anyone know how long it takes to warm one of these 7.3's up on the block heater?? Also what temp does it bring them to and should the t-stat open?? Just wndering about a few things. thanks

gatorman21218

Reaction score
on my truck the gauge reads about 195 when the t-stat opens. the heater is only going to get you to 100-150 overnight depending on how cold it is obviously.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok cool, i'll let it plugged in untill about 8pm thats 3hr's and see how warm it got.. Just making sure it work's.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
To save on power I got an El Cheapo timer from Walmart and set it to turn the block heater on at 3 to leave at 6. Its nice jumping in with the heater already kind of warm.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I would stray away from an "El Cheapo timer" and buy one rated for the amperage for the block heater. Someone will chime in on what amps they draw. Leaving the block heater on for more than 3-4 hours is not gaining anything.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm is it a loud hum? I don't think I've heard it before but it does dim the front door lights when I plug her in lol

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To save on power I got an El Cheapo timer from Walmart and set it to turn the block heater on at 3 to leave at 6. Its nice jumping in with the heater already kind of warm.

Yup, I do the same. A 15 amp timer and I set it to come on about three hours before I'm gonna leave in the am and it's ready to go.

Heath

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
it does dim the front door lights when I plug her in lol

This is how I confirm that it is working, heavy duty timer (Christmas light outdoor heavy duty timers on sale now everywhere) set for 2 hours, I'm not in a cold climate though

gatorman21218

Reaction score
i think it takes 1000-1200 watts. which is 8-10 amps. I would suggest getting a timer rated for 15 amps.