Block heater replacement

tnthielen

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to replace a failed block heater on my '92... I found this on LMC truck: (bottom right corner)

http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=45

My understanding is that the heating element heats the coolant in the block, thus warming the block. I need to drain the radiator, but that won't drain the block, right? Any recommendations on this process? Is there an easy way to drain what is in the block?

It "appears" to just screw in and we're golden, anyone have any other input?

Thanks!

-Todd

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score

This looks like a kit for gas engines, this is not what you need. I got the OEM one at the International dealer, Ford has it also, and maybe NAPA?

There are block drains but when I did mine, I just drained the rad and let the block drain out the block heater hole (it's not as if it's gonna shoot out, it will drain slowly-- GLUG GLUG GLUG) but then again, I was resigned to do a coolant change anyway. Only thing to watch is the orientation of the heater, pay attention to how the old one was mounted, as the International replacement had special instructions to mount with the element facing 11 o'clock. Make sure the hole is clean and dry, and I put a very thin layer of gray RTV on the outside edge, just make sure not to get it on the o-ring.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to replace a failed block heater on my '92... I found this on LMC truck: (bottom right corner)

http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=45

My understanding is that the heating element heats the coolant in the block, thus warming the block. I need to drain the radiator, but that won't drain the block, right? Any recommendations on this process? Is there an easy way to drain what is in the block?

It "appears" to just screw in and we're golden, anyone have any other input?

Thanks!

-Todd
If you undo the screw and work at it the block heater will release and you should be able to get it out and get very wet while doing it. This will drain the cooling system. LOL

Here are a couple of pictures to look at. The first one has in order...from left to right

Dipstick, GREY core plug (this is where YOUR block heater is located) threaded block plug (small hole) another CORE plug...DO NOT REMOVE THIS ONE! It requires a special tool to replace it!!!

In this image you will see the BLOCK heater port or plugged opening. It is just to the right of the dipstick tube, and to the left of the coolant drain plug location..see the small hole with plug removed? That small hole is where you can add in a PETCOCK like on a radiator...there is one on the other side of the block too...
You must be registered for see images attach

And the same location on another block with petcock installed and block heater removed JUST FOR YOU NOW;Really Now you know where it goes and what you can do to add coolant drains..petcocks in both sides is best.

This one shows the small plug is located is behind the oil filter header!

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
hanks Al. That helps everyone see what you are talking about. Ebay sells the correct heater too but so does Ford and International.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Test the cord first. (If you haven't)

Can also drain radiator, then duct tape a shop vac to the fill hole, turn it on, take heater loose, then shut off vac. Will prevent the green shower.
Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.