block heater question

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
i read for years that the factory block heater will crack the block around the area of the heater thats why I never bothered to fix mine

I think it was only the early 83-84 ones.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/pics-of-early-6-9-crack-around-block-heater.60578/

The old cord on the 85 RV had been hack job repaired so obviously someone was using it at some point. The 87 truck's cord was just rotten to death, so who knows if it ever was. It certainly hadn't been in the past 5-10 years.

HawkDavis

Reaction score
I put a heater on the radiator hose. I had it on all night and this morning the truck started with about 10 seconds of glow plug just fine. Temp out was 20 degrees. I tried a new Kat's brand block heater and could not get it to seat into the hole right. no matter how I put it in the eliment would always touch the inside of the block and would not seat right. Every time it would leak. I had the machine shop which finally worked on my block install a frost plug. No leaks now.

Last edited:

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size is the lower radiator hose on a 89 F-250? Im interested in that style heater, plus easy to install( I think). BTW I did block off the radiator completely this morning and got enough heat to defrost the windshield, plus got some heat in the cab... Not bad for for freezing weather....Im going to take it out later to today and "air it out" and get that temperature up to "normal". I believe it was Wes who told me to drive it like i stole it at least once a month to keep it cleared out.. Ill let yall know how it goes.