block heater question

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first diesel, so this may be a stupid question...I don't know. How long do you need to leave your truck plugged in for the block heater to be effective? I am wondering if it needs to be plugged in over night or just plugging it in for an hour before you want to drive it will work. I am just looking to use as little electricity as possible. Also when do you guys start plugging them in? When the temp get below freezing at night? Or are you just starting them on the glow plugs and using a non gelling fuel treatment? Thanks for any help.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run mine on a timer; have it set to send juice to the heater about 2 hours before I fire it to go to work. But around these parts, it's only getting down to around 40 degrees so far. It starts just fine without it, it's just nice to have the truck light right off, the heater is already warm. Otherwise I sit and wait a couple minutes for the engine to get a little bit of heat in it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You can leave it hooked up as long as you want, all its going to hurt is the electric bill

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I don't use it much here in North Florida. These past three days temperature in the morning was 30-32 and the truck started well, at the first try after one cycle of the glow plugs. If I see the temperature is going to be under that I connect a power cord with a heavy duty timer to turn it on one hour before and it works well even in the teens. The batteries also have heater jackets that warm them up.

Burt.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can leave it hooked up as long as you want, all its going to hurt is the electric bill

I know that, I am just wondering the minimal time that you guys run them and it actually makes a noticible difference.

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plug mine in for 2 hours when it goes bellow 32. Starts like a mid summers day. Otherwise it rattles like a power smoke and cranks real slow. It will start down to 0 but I don't like to put the wear and tear on it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Depends on the temps outside for 0f 1 hour will let it start with ease but 2 hours is ideal for most temps below that. I don't know where in Va are You but most times You shouldn't need it with some exceptions on days in the ten's.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually 2 hours is enough at 0deg

I guess you are talking about 32deg F? Not 0deg F? Right?

I plug mine in for 2 hours when it goes bellow 32. Starts like a mid summers day. Otherwise it rattles like a power smoke and cranks real slow. It will start down to 0 but I don't like to put the wear and tear on it.

I better get a timer then. I am not going to want to get up 2 hours before I need to leave just to plug the truck in;Sweet

Depends on the temps outside for 0f 1 hour will let it start with ease but 2 hours is ideal for most temps below that. I don't know where in Va are You but most times You shouldn't need it with some exceptions on days in the ten's.

I am central va. The past few winters have really be hit or miss. Last winter it was really cold with a lot of snow, then the years previous to that I don't recall it being very cold, and I know we did not get much snow.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another factor in time for plugging it in is the wattage of the block heater. Higher the wattage the faster warm up = less time.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
2-3 hpurs, if you keep it hooked up any longer your just running up your electric bill for no reason. Buy yourself a timer, buy a good one, not a cheap Harbor freight one either.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The block heater element is 1000 watts, so at 120VAC your pulling 8 amps. Don't use any extension cord less than 16 ga., the shorter the length the better. A 14 ga. cord is good for 15 amps. Your electric meter records the wattage used. Look on your electric bill for how much you pay per kilowatt, do the math.

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2-3 hpurs, if you keep it hooked up any longer your just running up your electric bill for no reason. Buy yourself a timer, buy a good one, not a cheap Harbor freight one either.

I got my timer from Home Depot last year right after Christmass, it was a leftover on the lights isle. Rated for outdoor useage and has a digital timer on it which allows for 8 different programs broken down by weekdays, ends or individual days. Mine is set for 2 hours before work M-F nothing on Sat and 2 hours before church on Sun. If it's not going to be cold that night I just don't plug it in. The timer is run on batteries and will keep the program when it is unplugged. The online reviews for it are pretty bad but I have yet to have any issues.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If your engine is tight, you shouldn't need a heater much in that climate.
My engine is tight and I run synthetic oil, and it fires right off with one cycle of the glowplugs at-20 deg f and colder without being plugged in.