block heater question

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did a search and found this thread my question was does the heater have a thermoswitch so it will shutoff at a certain temp. The reason I ask is if your starting your truck in the morning and say 10 hours later you make another trip does it make sense to keep the heater on during that time? The temps are in the 10-20s around here for the next couple days, I have noticed my old and gone 6.9 will start better in the cold than the factory turbo 7.3 I guess due to the lower compression.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned >2 hours prior is plenty.
Plus, if you leave it plugged in all the time you won't be happy when it burns out... and you're drinking antifreeze replacing it.
;Really :puke:

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the consensus is 1-2 hours is plenty. need to set alarm to switch on before the trip for opening day late muzzleloader elk season.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had a few glow plugs that were bad, three to be exact I would plug my truck in nightly on a timer and have it come on about 4 hours before heading to work. Now that I have all good glow plugs I don't bother plugging it in even in single degree temps it fires up. All I do is cycle the glow plugs twice to make it easier on the starter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online