Block heater location on '94 IDI e350 Van

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was delighted to find my block heater cord today . . . . until it came out completely unattached. I assume it is in a freeze plug port on the passenger side somewhere in a inaccessible location for reattachment? Anyone know? Thanks!

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
It is next to your starter in a special freeze plug-type hole. If you need to replace, do some research here first, as it is not hard to do but there's a few tricks that can save you a lot of headaches.

e: OK, apparently you can use a freeze plug in place of the block heater. My bad.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice picture Heath... Thats the only location for the block heater in these blocks. They are the same blocks in the van or trucks. A standard type cup freeze plug can be installed in this location too. Even a rubber expansion type replacement plug can be used. One thing you never want to do is install brass or aftermarket freeze plugs in the 7 other locations in any 6.9 or 7.3 block. Use only the factory stainless steel plugs that come in the pack of 7 from Ford or international... Anything else will fit but wont stay in the block... Been there a couple of times and paid dearly for it. Others have found this out too....

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice picture Heath... Thats the only location for the block heater in these blocks. They are the same blocks in the van or trucks. A standard type cup freeze plug can be installed in this location too. Even a rubber expansion type replacement plug can be used. One thing you never want to do is install brass or aftermarket freeze plugs in the 7 other locations in any 6.9 or 7.3 block. Use only the factory stainless steel plugs that come in the pack of 7 from Ford or international... Anything else will fit but wont stay in the block... Been there a couple of times and paid dearly for it. Others have found this out too....

Good to know for the future and sounds like having the Ford plugs onboard would be a wise investment for any long road trips - thanks!

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, great pic! Will take a look this evening to see what is hanging off the block heater end - hopefully, a repairable connector!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good to know for the future and sounds like having the Ford plugs onboard would be a wise investment for any long road trips - thanks!

Nope... Having a set of factory freeze plugs will not help on a long road trip. They are nearly impossible to install if the engine is still in the rig. Two are behind the flexplate ot flywheel. Two are behind the oil cooler and the motor mounts on both sides. Plus... you need a very special $200.00 tool to install them properly. These are not a cup type plug. They are a stainless steel concave plug that needs the center pressed in a certain amount so it digs in to the cast iron block machnined groove. Surely others have installed them with a punch or socket... But that wont work...

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope... Having a set of factory freeze plugs will not help on a long road trip. They are nearly impossible to install if the engine is still in the rig. Two are behind the flexplate ot flywheel. Two are behind the oil cooler and the motor mounts on both sides. Plus... you need a very special $200.00 tool to install them properly. These are not a cup type plug. They are a stainless steel concave plug that needs the center pressed in a certain amount so it digs in to the cast iron block machnined groove. Surely others have installed them with a punch or socket... But that wont work...

Ouch . . . . . hopefully they never leak . . .

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Related question: are the block heater cords dealer-only?

Gotz heater, gotz no cord! Not seeing them aftermarket. And that kidney-shaped connector sure isn't at my local hardware store.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Related question: are the block heater cords dealer-only?

Gotz heater, gotz no cord! Not seeing them aftermarket. And that kidney-shaped connector sure isn't at my local hardware store.

Hey Rich your local Kragen...now O'reillys has the engine heater cords on their website for 25 bucks.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip, Ian. Hoping there was an aftermarket source out there.

Not an O'Reilly fan, but I may make an exception this once.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get them at Ford, but, like stated, most chain autoparts places can get them pretty easily for you.

Heath

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've got three brand new cords from katz heaters. i'll give one to you if you want it.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Whoa, that would be great, heff. Will PM ya tomorrow (Saturday) :hail

Almost never gets below the 30s here in my area, but, am doing head gaskets and all that, so avoiding some cold starts this winter seems like a good idea. ;Sweet

And, thank you, Heath. I'm usually a pretty good parts chaser, but not this time. :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online