Biodiesel Homebrewing Class and Biodiesel Equipment Build Class
Central, SC (near Clemson)
November 18- biodiesel homebrewing chemistry basics
November 19- biodiesel equipment building
$60 per class, no one turned away for lack of funds
www.girlmark.com/tour

10-4 each day,
225 Broad street, Central SC 29630 - meeting hall of Scout Troop 278

Learn to make your own high-quality biodiesel fuel, and build the equipment to do so at home

Maria 'Mark' Alovert from www.localb100.com and www.biodieselcommunity.org is coming to upstate South Carolina to teach two biodiesel classes- a one-day biodiesel homebrewing/chemistry class on November 18, and a one-day equipment intensive on November 19th which allows you to build equipment to take home (optional). You can attend one or both classes. Both classes are hands-on and will cover a lot of theory on biodiesel chemistry, quality control, materials compatibility, and equipment design. You can attend the equipment class whether you're building equipment to take home, or simply coming to watch and help the others.

In the homebrew class, we'll cover the basic process, the chemistry of quality control and testing, discuss ethanol-based biodiesel (our workshop host, Kurt Nolte, works with it regularly), and give you some hands-on time to practice the techniques. If you stay for the second day's equipment class, there'll be optional lab time on that day also to continue your Saturday experiments if you wish. If you have already experimented with making biodiesel, we'll cover a lot of troubleshooting and problem-repairing techniques.

In the equipment class, we'll build processors, wash tanks, methanol recovery condensors, and wash bubblers, and we will discuss heat exchangers, methanol recovery, safety (from an equipment perspective), materials compatibility, pumps, secondary containment, larger system suggestions, and more safety.

The processors/reactors that we're building are a variation on the open-source processor from www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor and the wash tank is similar to this one http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/standpipewashtank/ . You can build a system to take home if you purchase the parts and bring an electric water heater to use as the reactor tank, and/or a 55-gallon closed-head barrel to use as a wash tank..

If you want to buy equipment parts for this class, email me at [email protected] by mid-day on Friday the 17th and tell me that you want parts (you'll also need to bring the tanks yourself), and we'll work out the payment (either Paypal or "settling up at the door" depending on how many people I have to pick up parts for)- they're about $250 for processor parts and $45 for wash tank parts, and you also need to acquire an electric water heater (and also a barrel if you're building a wash tank in the class). Methanol recovery condensor parts are $45 for a 4' long copper tube-in-shell heat exchanger that we'll solder up in the class.

For more info, email me at [email protected], or see www.girlmark.com/tour. You can also just show up on the day of the class and register 'at the door'.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I wish i was a little closer any chance you will be coming North in the Pennsylvainia area??

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brrrr, not this winter. I'm planning a tour throughout the country in the late spring, though, and I"m sure I'll be back to Chambersburg PA again at that point (may? June?)- I did a class there in September.

Mark

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
shame a have too many jobs to wrap up before Xmas and most of my boys are in Louisianna working....

we'd be there.

we make some biod, tho i prefer wvo :)

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, everyone's busy this time of year- I only scheduled these because originally I thought a bunch of us were going to do a conference about an industry issue (ie not a class) this fall in DC- and we all decided we were too busy to pull that one off, so I got stuck with just my mini-tour around Thanksgiving instead. I'm sure it'll be really fun, I"m looking forward to driving to Florida (got a class there in December) and seeing some winter Atlantic Ocean again.

Mark

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
well, if you need a place to crash on the Ga-Fl border, drop us a line.
good home cooking, etc

the kids love company.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Brrrr, not this winter. I'm planning a tour throughout the country in the late spring, though, and I"m sure I'll be back to Chambersburg PA again at that point (may? June?)- I did a class there in September.

Mark

ooohhhh thats only like an hour form me, please keep us posted on future classes. been reading about your work and got your book years ago but just finally recently got a diesel. now i want to do it for real.;p

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, if you need a place to crash on the Ga-Fl border, drop us a line.
good home cooking, etc

the kids love company.

Thanks for the offer! I'll be driving with Matt from Piedmont Biofuels (www.biofuels.coop) who is also teaching some kind of a presentation for a group of farmers in the Florida panhandle at the same time, and I think I"m on his schedule and he'll be almost to his destination at that point, so we'll probably be driving straight through to Florida at that point (and I'm flying home out of Fla so I"m not making the return trip). Thanks anyway though!

Mark

Elliott

Reaction score
Well Iraq right now but really Evansville IN
bio diesel

Go to freedom fule America.com and it will have a few other sites to direct you to and one of the sites has a wider roma of places thay go and teach the bio class and sell a seystem that takes a lot of the work out of it Price $2,889.99 or close. Thats my 2 cents.