BIO DIESEL VERSUS USED OILS

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
It is also to not spend big bucks on a filtering setup.

I have one that filters to 1 micron and cost about $20.

Go to the McMaster-Carr website, and look at filtering socks. They come in several std sizes. I got 2 17" long ones, a 50 and a 10 micron, and one long 1 micron one. I put the 50 inside the 10, and then that inside the 1. I pour the waste oil into the assembly, and it all drains into a 5 gallong bucket.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. I did some research on the internet, and I found plans on making a wvo line heater using glow plugs, some brass fittings, a thermostate, a relay, and a switch to activate it. All the parts come to less than $50.00, compared to $150 for a vegtherm. I know there are other ways also, such has using heater hoses from the truck system, and running the fuel line either along it, with it, or in some cases in it. My problem is I am a Disabled Vet, on a fixed income. I cannot aford to spend more that $250 a month on anything, gas, parts, etc. If something brakes down on my truck, and cost more than $250, I have to save up until I can fix it. Beings as my back was badly crushed, and I have very extensive back surgury, metal, and parts, I can't walk more than 50 feet at a time. So, not having a vehicle is not an option, but as you can see I am so limited. I gave my life for my country, and I would do it again, but unfortunatly, I can't work and must live on what the gov. gives me. The bio making is out finacialy, I just want to try and be able to afford to drive the vehicle I have.

Marq

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marq I think you're going to find that you to meet your economic requirements you'll do better with collecting the inexspensive parts from online, or a hose in hose or hose on hose system cheated over from the heater hose. You have yet to tell us what your fabrication skills are like or how limiting your disability might be for working on or under the truck or if you have anyone willing to fill in where you can't do it. I'd say don't spend a ton of money, just do your homework like you already have and build a system you can handle putting together and can afford. A word of caution, I hear that the factory tank may be susceptible to forming a vomit like film with heated WVO, consequently, I'd find a big honking semi tank or propane tank or the like, whatever you can get cheap(not galvanized) and plumb that in as your vegoil/WMO tank and retain the functionality of the stock tanks/system, just like with a transfer flow tank. 'd just live with the high price in town for your short trips and when you have to drive any distance you could use your WMO/VO tank. Good luck

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even then you shouldn't have any issues running say a 25%-40% blend of wmo in your tank designated for #2 diesel. The key is to separate any water and filter, filter, filter the wmo as good as you can

1990fordidi

Reaction score
I've been burning WVO in my 1986 Ford f-250 for 12 years, and I've never had any problems. All I do is pass the oil through a 3 micron bag filter and then its into the truck. I bought a kit from greasecar.com, and it's worked great.

Black dawg

Reaction score
kinda surprised that this one got buy without any body asking about the stage 1 injectors in the op sig.

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 2 Mercedes 300 5 cyl diesel on a mix of 10 to 50 percent diesel to hot filtered wvo. I filter thru a 25/10/1 micron sock filter. I am in So Fl and have another house up bye Gainsville 200 miles north. It gets to 25 to 35 degrees in No Fl so when I am up there I use the higher mix. I have special injectors that supposedly for wvo use and I have no problem. I do carry spare filters as the wvo tends to separate and plug up. Usually between 3 and 5000 miles. At 12.00 for the pair I do not consider it a hardship to change them.
I also run a F350 7.3 IDI with separate fuel tanks, separate fuel pumps, separate fuel filters, separate heater for the wvo and I still filter and blend in one tank and use only diesel in one tank. I carry spare filters and everthing necessary to change filters whenever necessary. I have run wmo mixed with diesel and my only complaint was my sock filters got very dirty very quickly. One mercedes has 428,000 one has 204,000 and I would not hesitate to go anywhere so long as I have my toolkit and spare filters. My F350 has 188,000 and If I was going to take a long trip I woulkd use nothing but diesel to make the trip. Just the difference in the vehicles and my personal experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online