BIG thanks to Darrin Tosh!!!

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Grat Big Thanks :hail :thumbsup: to Darrin Tosh for sending the Fan clutch. He saved me MEGA bucks from the Ford stealership. :shoot:

It only took about 15 minutes to change it out. I got the big 1 7/8" wrench out, hit the wrench while holding the fan belt anf off it came. I dropped it thoug and it landed lightly on the tranny hoses ant the bottom. No big deal.............. until I went to go look at a horse. I went down the road and what's that slipping???????? :eek: I get out and look and OOPS there's tranny fluid coming out of the bottom. :mad: CRAP.

Run back home while I can make it. It tuned out the short hose was hard and the drop was enough to crack it slightly. A quick trip to Advanced for some hose and 2 gallons of fluid and back on the road. ;Sweet

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Good deal! Glad to hear Darrin saved you some bucks. I hear ya on dropping those things, easy to do. At least you didnt put a hole in your radiator.

headmark

Hawkeye
Reaction score
Spokane, Washington U.S.A., The Capitol City of th
Unfortunately for me last August we were camping in NW Montana and my fan hub happened to spin off on Sunday after shutting the engine off, puncturing the radiator. It left two tiny pin holes in two rows. I only had a big set of channel locks with me that'd fit the nut. So I reefed on it, got it as tight as I could. So I loosened the radiator cap and headed for home watching the temp gauge. After driving the 150 plus miles home or so I only lost about an inch of coolant. I yarded it out later that afternoon took it to work and had the radiator shop pick up and repair. Been going good ever since.

I just can't beleive that it spun off there like that. It really wasn't that hot outside but maybe hot enough under the hood that day when I shut it down that the fan was working hard and the shutdown made it spin off. Just hard to believe, I thought they made them left hand threaded to avoid this. Anyways could of been worse but all turned out good.

Pete

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, if the "correct" tool was used, and it was torqued to spec, it won't come off. What makes it come off is the cheating that goes on. Using punches, chisels, vice grips, pliers, and who knows what all else to put these things on and off.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
They told me they installed them with an air chisel where my trucks were when I purchased them (after PO died and had left one there to be worked on) probably no wonder the threaded hub was fractured. Had the truck started, the radiator would have in all likelyhood been destroyed by a fan exiting the engine compartment.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
a BF box end wrench. :rolleyes:
Be interesting to see someone use a box wrench to install one of these, and then try and start the truck...I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that! :shocked:

I got all of the accessory belts tight first, then used a BIG crescent wrench to get mine tightened on. Even with the proper tools, I don't know how you can properly set the torque on that fitting, so I figured the best thing to do was tighten it as much as I possibly could. With the belts tight, the pulley was held in place well enough that I was able to get the fan clutch as tight as I needed to before the pulley slipped...and it's been fine since (a bit over a year now *touch wood* )...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ford tool has a square hole in the handle, so you can put a torque wrench on it.