big hp idi

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct i was waiting for someone to say that but you have to have to gears cause using only one will throw it in the opposite direction. I have spoke with Mel on this it can be done. Again all ideas will build a good high hp Idi but who's gonna do it? An who's gonna stop saying it can't be done. It's 2013 almost an anything someone wants can be done. A cummins has a stronger bottom end so what Crowley or billet rods it can all be done. A good cryo treated balanced engine from a builder who knows what's going on like Gary's icanfixall motor than your good to about 500hp on a stock coated bottom end and will last. Next axels snap new axels an next trans. If Gary wanted I think he has one of the best obn member e4od trans if he put new axels an custom fuel system an turbos his motor trans combo can handle 450hp all day long. The turbo kit in twins needs to be disigned in a manner one would be able to work on such beast an not be upset that he spent the money to get 450hp thts what it boils down to. He wants it simple to work on an easy cheap fix it's over built I bet if he drove it everyday for the rest of his life the way he built it it would never crap the bottom end ever period just normal maintance valve guides oil cooler an so forth. Heath as well but I think he is zf-5 which takes clutch upgrades an so forth. Thts why I say Gary's truck with his BTS e4od. Racin an wheeler both had to upgrade there clutch an still slips some power. Wheeler races his 20-30psi boost launchs an that's has takin its toll on his an he needs an auto for his style. Racin upgraded an doesn't use his power in a burning raging style an is having ok luck. But a built e4od is the way to go funny no one ever talks about getting all this power to the ground.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One hurdle before the other. Hasnt been a need to talk about getting power to the wheels because most havent had it at the engine. The 6.2/5 pumps rotate oppositely, so it could be geared or mirrored opposite the other...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy an Idi off craigslist if your looking to buy a bran new one. An have a 4x4 cc 450hp daily driver loaded completly redone inside an out for around 25k for most people an around 17-20k. Still less than 52k for new. Also you can spend 30k an have billet rods an all. if you can budget an cheap out in some places. Especially if you get a truck that has a ton of new parts. When I say completly I mean a/c trans tires the works carpet custom turbo kit cam. All of it. If someone wants to use there truck a motor an trans combo not doing the work yourself would cost 15k in a auto an 12k in a zf-5 upgraded but the autos bomb proof an thats buil motor with parts tht exist today! An will hold 400-450hp safe. The db4 is a shot in the dark no one has 100k on there 1500 dollar pump. That's whats gonna cost to have the power. An untill people use them more we won't know how long they last then your ip puts you in a cummins replacement money wise but you have an Idi.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one thing no one has stated yet in this whole tread is MPG. in this world were i live (in york PA) we have what you call $4.29 a gal.
Making good HP/TQ # has to sacrifice this alot. I my self is in the middle of a idi biuld right now. Only because icant stand all the electric stuff sitting along the road. a friend of mine got a 2012 service truck in the summer and left him sit four times due to computor programing problums, befor that the 6.0 he drove for two years, 2 sets of injectors, bad turbo lag, n made crap for power. im knew to this site and learned alot from hear so far. im in the middle of making the up tubes for the turbo since im not happy about the kits that are avalible. so here is the list of mods i plain on doing
head studs
moose pump
moose mister injectors
type 4 cam
and a 5.9l cummins turbo
in a 88 f-superduty crew cab project. it has to get better mpg than my 460 powered f-350 crew cab 4X4 pulling the toy hauler @7MPG

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would love to see an idi 300HP 500TQ at the wheels doing 15-18MPG loaded

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
i would love to see an idi 300HP 500TQ at the wheels doing 15-18MPG loaded

I would love to see ANY truck do that loaded, give a shout when its possible (12-13 is good for a diesel, 6-9 for a gasser) no if your talking a short (height wise) open trailer its been done with anywhere from 100-400whp for the record the 350+ whp builds are seeing 17-19empty and pending load 13-16 loaded (the shorter the load the higher the MPG)

idibeast

Reaction score
so ive been looking at maybe building a db2/4 hybrid pump for myself and ive got some questions. First, is the ds4 the same as the db4. If I remember correctly, the ds4 was put on 6.5s. Would the rotor from a ds4 work? Finally, is the rotor the only part that needs to be swapped, if not what else. Thank guys.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
so ive been looking at maybe building a db2/4 hybrid pump for myself and ive got some questions. First, is the ds4 the same as the db4. If I remember correctly, the ds4 was put on 6.5s. Would the rotor from a ds4 work? Finally, is the rotor the only part that needs to be swapped, if not what else. Thank guys.
That's a question for Mel. But others might know.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you for the numbers i knew if thew a big number there someone would post some real #

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the idea of twin db2/4 pumps, but not the idea of belt drive, could they bolt together through the timing gear with longer bolts, talk about an awsome set up

You could definitely use a gear drive on them for sure. You would just have to time them correctly together which would be a pain.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One hurdle before the other. Hasnt been a need to talk about getting power to the wheels because most havent had it at the engine. The 6.2/5 pumps rotate oppositely, so it could be geared or mirrored opposite the other...

Exactly. Just have them 180* out from each other...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle